Dead computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so i buy parts for a new computer and put everything together as one should and wow it doesnt boot how surprising. so i go back through checking the psu and the connections and everything that i could think of and i was looking over it and realize that wow i ordered somthing wrong. my processor is an amd athlon 2800 which yeah slow but efficient but then my mb is a sempron supported now i dont konw if this would be causing my computer to not boot but yeah if someone could let me no what is going on i would appreciate it. oh yeah the whole boot thing is i hook up the psu and push the power switch the cpu fan looks like someone touched two of the power wires together it just starts to move and coasts to a stop no beeps or anything ? is it the power supply?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

We need your system specs, particularly your mobo model. Click on the first link in my signature.

You did use standoffs between the mobo and case didn`t you?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

yes i used standoff and i dont think it is a grounding problem

512 ram
Athlon 2800+
Mobo is sempro made but its VIA km26 pro the model i think M825g
XGI voltari 128 meg video card
i thnk thats it but yeah if anything else idk

That`s a pcchips mobo. It wouldn`t surprise me if it`s a dead mobo. They aren`t know for quality or reliability.

Make sure you`ve connected every thing correctly, including the front panel headers(power switch/reset switch etc).

You did use thermal paste between your cpu and heatsink? Sorry for the daft question, but I have to ask.

I think your cpu should be ok in that board. However, there are different version of the board available. Which version do you have? Is it the M825g(v8.0a), or version M825g(v9.2a)?

Look HERE for more info.

Regards Howard :)

yeah the mobo is gonna be a version 9 and no there was no thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu if there isnt you think that would be causing something imean all of the problem seems to be before any processes ocur like it is shorting

That would cause the cpu to overheat and shut down.

Take off the heatsink. Clean off the old thermal pad/paste with a little isopropyl alcohol and apply some new thermal paste, to the die of the cpu.

See HERE for instructions on how to apply thermal paste.

ok replaced thermal paste after cleaning it and no response which makes no sense by the way something i hadnt mentioned when i first got this pc i had it is another room and messed with it and seemed to boot but i had no monitor in that room so moved it and now we are where we are with this happening

I doubt if it`ll help, but can you try another psu, just to rule it out as a possible cause?

If you do and still get nothing, then the mobo is the likely cause.

yeah i just tried that and nope same deal just dies but i will try to fiddle with it and maybe i can get it to work if not back to buying a new mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back