Dead End City! Nothing Works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty horrible problem that could make someone a hero!

I have a reasonably new (9 mths old) Dell Dimension 2800 which has decided to go a bit mental. I recently installed 1GB of RAM and, later on that same day, one of my games (Doom 3 Demo) crashed/froze. I quit the program and a few minutes later tried to reopen it. Windows informed me that there was a system program missing.

I restarted the PC and it automatically started CheckDisk because one of my volumes is dirty - this then freezes after 30% of Stage 2. I can't find a way of avoiding running CheckDisk or avoiding the freeze at 30% - there are no options available to me.

I have booted the Dell Recovery CD which has the Windows XP software on it (NOT a specific Windows XP CD which would probably come in handy). This CD tries to boot Windows directly (without giving any other options) but gets to a certain point in the load before I get a STOP error, specifically "Unknown Hard Error \systemRoot\system32\ntdll.dll"

So I can't access Windows from the HD and I can't access from the recovery disk. Um... this is where I need a wee bit of help please! Have I zapped my Motherboard with my magical staticky fingers or do I just need to find a way of getting into the registry and reinstalling the ntdll directory file?

Please help!

Cheers, Dave

Try and take that new memory out (AFTER you discharge yourself of any static electricity) before you do anything drastic. It might not be the correct type (Dell likes CAS=2)

realblackstuff said:
Try and take that new memory out (AFTER you discharge yourself of any static electricity) before you do anything drastic. It might not be the correct type (Dell likes CAS=2)

Yep, I had already installed RAM previously but have now re-inserted the factory installed chip. Still to no avail....

Looks like an expensive call to Dell is on my horizon! hehe

A 9 month old Dell will surely be under warranty.However, if that ram you tried is not on their recommended list , I would be very discreet as to what you tell them.Judge yourself accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back