Dead GPU Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_17

hi all

Today at morning, as usual every sunday, I woke up and took breakfast in front of the computer checking news and the techspot forums :)

I started to smell something burnt. I shutted down the coputer and took out the side panel, then i power again, all worked perfect but the fan of my graphics card is now 100% dead.

It's a Hercules Radeon 8500 I bought 3 months ago. I unpluged the little fan from the card so I stop smelling smoke. I can still play normally for hours without having a single artifact or system crash. My side panel has 2 fans blowing air inside, 1 to the cpu/mem area and another to the agp/norhtbridge area.

The gfx is not getting to hot. Can I ignore this and continue as normall? If a send the card to technical support, I won't see it again, I live in the Dominican Republic. If the card works fine for 3 or 4 months more I'm happy, but I'm worried about burning somehting else...

you shouldnt have any problem running the card without the fan. the updated version of the 8500 ( 9100) had only passive ( heatsink no fan) cooling on it. but if you are really concerned you can buy VGA coolers for around 12.00 to 19.00 U.S. and install it yourself.

Even if the 9100 runs fine without a fan, I'd highly recommend that you'd buy another fan, or position one right above the heatsink on the gpu (ie. Zalman)...

That way you're sure it won't burn out for some reason or other within a coule of months....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back