Dead MoBo, Compaq....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, compaq....
Right now I have a 2.5 celeron, two 256, pc2700 and one 2100, I know...
I have a ati 9250 pci, and Trigem Imperial-gv socket 478 motherboard.
I know It's the mobo, checked everything, I was thinking about geting the same mobo on ebay Mobo But I was wondering, can I get a cheeper one that is compatble with my system?
I haven't really done work with a mobo before.
Anything would help, thanks.

BTW, the compaq I have is a x5000nx.

Yes you can get other Mobos that will work with your current setup. (if you would like some recomendations, we can do that)

But the only problem with getting another motherboard is that you are going to most likely going to need to reinstall windows. And as compaq does not give you a full OS disk, your going to have to buy another copy of it.

But if you get the same exact mobo, then that will not be needed.

I have a full verson of XP. (I hate thos compaq installs with all the ramdom junk)

Yeah, I would like some recomendations.

Im I going to need a new case?
Or will everything work fine?

Trigem motherboards are junk. I would take a look at getting an Asus P4P800 SE. because of the way the front panel connectors are on Compaq cases y0u may have to buy another case. it would also be worth your while to consider upgrading the Power supply.

Well if you have a full version of windows, your good to go.

As far as recomendations, how much are you looking to spend? Are you into gaming? (you could always get a board with a AGP slot, so that you could expand your grapics later on.

As i do not know if your Celeron runs on a 400 or 533 mhz fsb, it makes the choices a bit slimmer. Is there anyway you could identify it?
Here is a decent board, that would work with your current setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138262

like i said, decent. Not the ultimate OCer or performer, but it should get the job done.

These should fit in your current case. But there is a possibility that your mobo may be a MicroATX. How many expansion slots do you have? And is there any way you could measure the board? (just a rough measurement)

I have moved a compaq (it was a bit newer then yours however) into a standard ATX case. It works ok. You have to do a bit of improvising for your start button HDD activty light etc. but it can be done.

I'm not sure what it runs at...
The pc doesn't even start anymore.
Yeah, I game alot.
My ram, and everything else will work in here?
Ummm, I have 3 pci slots, the bored looks kinda small..

This is my Mobo

Sorry, not at home, cant tell how big the mobo is.

according to the board specs it supports P4 prescotts and celeron D cpu's is your celeron a celeron D?

It says

Intel Celeron 2.5 GHz
400 MHz front side bus
Socket mPGA478

Hurry and tell me if I can't use that mobo, I can cancel it.

Just becasue it only states celeron D doesnt mean it wont support older celeron CPu's.( it probably will) the only way to be absolutely sure would be to contact biostar.

If that were an intel chipset then I would say yes that BOTH your CPU and Ram would be supported but since it's a VIA I wouldnt even begin to guess.

as far as the need for a case, that depends on wheter or not your Compaq case uses standard front panel connections or not.

Uhh, what's wrong with VIA?

Can you find a better motherbored?
I couldn't....
Atlest one for around 50 bucks that works with my setup....

Your CPU will work on that Mobo. A celeron D uses a 533mhz FSB, your celeron uses a 400mhz FSB, which is supported on that mobo.

As for the VIA chipset, nothing is wrong with it, it is just cheaper then Intels. Remeber socket 478 is a "dead" format. Newegg has 37 478 boards and combine that with your 50 dollar budget, and support for the 400mhz FSB, your choices are limited.

And for your RAM, im not sure about mixing the speeds, but a stick of 2700 or 2100 should work in the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back