Debian boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I just installed Debian 3.0 and the install went fine,however when I login it stops with my login info and then a $ and a cursor.
I'm suspecting this is related to my videocard(GF4) or video setting.Any help is appreciated.:( :(

First of all, type 'startx' and press enter. If windowing system doesn't start, note any error messages and post back.

I'm pretty sure Debian doesn't install graphical logon by default.

A friendly advice - you may be better off with some user friendly flavour of Linux like RedHat, Mandrake or maybe SuSE. Debian is for masochists only ;)

Do you have X installed? Check /usr directory for something called "X11R6" or "X" or "X11". I none of these directories exist, you probably don't have X installed. Either reinstall or install all needed X packages individually.

what happens when you type "init 5" at the command prompt?

I'm guessing that you didn't install X11 on your system.

Hello,
Thanks for your replies.I followed Nodsu's advice and installed Redhat 8.0 but I have the same problem.I have been through the xf86config about 20 times and I still can't boot into any GUI.I think it has something to do with my monitor(Samsung Syncmaster 955DF).I have followed the instructions in xf86config,even looking at my monitor manual for vertical and horizontal refresh rates.Thanks again for your help.

Just run 'stratx', your screen will probably flash and then return to text prompt.

View the XFree86 log file in /var/log.

The file is /var/log/Xfree86.0... (sorry, don't remember the ending, try with the TAB key)

You'll probably see a lot of information there. Note the line(s) starting with "(EE)", these mean errors.

If you can't figure out the log yourself, post it here.

Here is the error I get when I try to "startx":The VertRefresh keyword must be followed by a list of numbers or ranges.
(EE)Problem parsing config file
(EE)Error from xf86config file()
I have entered these ranges in xf86config according to the instructions in xf86config several times.

Nvidia's own drivers might not work with Red Hat 8.0 properly (as of today, drivers for 7.3 are available). I'm not sure about Debian 3.0, I think you need to compile the drivers yourself.

In addition, X in its stupidity thinks that when you're using 24/32-bit colors, the pixel clock can only be 300 MHz, so you might not get the refresh rates your monitor & gfx card could allow.

Could you post the whole XFree86 log file Nodsu mentioned?

By the way, did you enter VertRefresh to the correct section of the correct file?

In my Linux (not Red Hat or Debian), the file is /etc/X11/XF86Config.

It should look something like this:
Code:
Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "Samtron"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

HorizSync   30-96

#    HorizSync	30-64         # multisync
#    HorizSync	31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
#    HorizSync	15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

VertRefresh 50-160

Modeline "1600x1200"	202.50	1600 1664 1856 2092	1200 1201 1204 1242 +hsync +vsync

EndSection
That modeline is just my own tweak of that resolution, but nevertheless, VertRefresh should be in proper monitor section. If you have more than one monitor, make sure you're editing the right one.

Well,I finally got it working.I just did a reinstall of redhat 8.0 and entered the correct ranges in the monitor setup.I have another question:How do I change my refresh rate within Gnome.I think its set rather low because of the flicker I am getting.Once again,thanks for all your help.Its really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back