Decent Core2 Motherboard for $80 (£40)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blekk

Hi,

I'm from England (hence the pound conversion in brackets above), and I want to upgrade my PC as it is pretty old now, P4 Skt 478 2.2Ghz, 512 DDR 400 etc. But if I get a new cpu, I'll need a new mobo and DDR2 memory, if I get a motherboard I need the other 2 etc.

So, I am going to get them all at the same time, but am on a budget as I am only 17. I've already picked out the cheap of cheap core 2 E4400 (btw, is it the fact the FSB is 800Mhz that makes this cheaper than the 6300 that has 1.83Ghz cores compaired to the 2Ghz ones on this?) And some corsair 533Mhz 1Gb RAM, but not sure about a cheap motherboard.

I've been looking at the ECS 945G-M3 Micro ATX but wondered what everyone else thought, and if you can recommend any others in the price budget of about $80?

Here is the link to the ECS one: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=527&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=44&LanID=8

Look for deals... there are often motherboard-combo deals on www.tigerdirect.com, www.outpost.com, www.newegg.com, www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.pcconnection.com, www.techdepot.com and others.
I would look at your processor choices first then select a board, and look for online reviews that are positive.
Also, you will find excellent reviews at www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com and other such sites.
Look first at EVGA, Gigibyte, Intel, FoxConn, Asus, and Abit brands, then search for info on the individual models.
Be sure to keep money aside for the CPU fan, cables, and such.
Some motherboards come with all the cables. Others come with none. The cost difference can be substantial.
ECS would not be my first choice, but search for reviews with a Google search or other search engine.
Get a good board and cpu. Compromise on everything else that you can upgrade later. Do not compromise too much on the power supply...
Kingston, and Crucial memory can save you a lot of money over Corsair and OCZ and is about as good. It depends on your market there.

eh dont get a ecs elite to many problems i my self had one as many others has lots of issues with that mobo.i would suggest the asus p5b mobo for the core 2 duo.

Ok thanks for the advice, I've already got a 550W PSU and cables from the current mobo. I will be looking at asus and gigabyte mobos then as I currently have an asus. Only I have an ATI gfx card and so do want an NVidia chipset mobo, which alot are right now.

So what do people think of the sapphire ati boards? and if they are too expensive for me, what chipset should I get? SiS? Intel? VIA?

Any reply is appreciated.

We have not had any trouble with the Sapphire ATI graphics cads. You do not need an nVidia graphics card to install on a nVidia chipset motherboard. Most people on this forum prefer nVidia. But the prices are far better with ATI.

All three shipsets are fine for normal use. A more experienced gamer than me would have to comment on their gaming features.

Thanks, but I was talking about the Sapphire ATI motherboards, not ATi gfx cards.

So that is why I don't want an nVidia chipset motheroboard.

But thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back