decrease shut down and boot times :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jtickner1

these are tutorials for speeding up shut down and boot time,

SHUT DOWN TIMES

start > run > type in "regedit" > press enter > navigate through the folder called HKEY_CURRENT_USER > then through the folder CONTROL PANEL > then to DESKTOP > near the top of the list is "AutoEndTasks" its data value should be 0 > change its data value to 1.
Go into the exactly the same place in ur registry and locate "WaitToKillAppTimeout" its data value should be 20000. Change it to 1000.
locate "HungAppTimeout" and change its value from 5000 to 1000. DO NOT CHANGE THE VALUES ANY LOWER please other wise it could munt up ur pc :(
next navigate through the folder called "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > system > CurrentControlSet > control > locate "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" and change its data from 20000 to 1000. again please dont go any lower
Thats it for Shut down times :)

BOOT TIMES
you must do some of this tutorial in the BIOS so if ur goin to do this print this out or write it down unless ur freakishly intelligent and can remember the whole thing.

go into ur BIOS by pressing delete as ur system boots,
once ur un ur BIOS look for your SATA and IDE channels, once you have found these change all unused channels from "AUTO" to "NONE".
now change the order of your boot devices in most cases it will still be ur optical drive from when u 1st installed windows so change ur primary boot device to your HDD and u can disable other boot devices if you wish.
next disable "Floppy Drive Seek" this can take a huge amount of time to do so disable it but remember to keep the Floppy Drive channel open if you have one.

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!! done. i did this boot tutorial and once id finished i realised my mobo had a feature called super boot witch does all that for me so if ur mobo has super boot or something similar switch that on and save ur self the time :)

I HOPE THIS HELPS ANY1 THAT DOES IT (this tutorial originally from PCPP magazine)

Reducing the application kill timeout and enabling auto-kill means that when you shut down and a program asks if you want to save a document (let's say a spreadsheet you have been working or for 5 hours), Windows will not prompt you with the usual End Program dialog and will just kill the app after the timeout delay (1 second in this specific configuration). Are you fast enough? :p

Make sure you close all your important programs/documents manually before attempting a shutdown with this tweak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back