dedicate more system memory to videocard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokesmot91

hello i have a gateway laptop with a 64 mb intel videocard and i kno that the videocard is only 32mb and takeing another 32 from my system memory (992 mb insted of 1024)and i was wondering if i can dedicate another 64mb to my videocard so i have 128

i ahve looked in my system bios and i cannot do it the part were it says it has 32 mb is greyed out and i cannot get to it so unless there is a way to unlock it im stumped

Well, for an integrated card you really don`t need too much graphics memory. If you`re looking to increase video performance, I`m afraid you`ll need a new video card.

well the whole reason i wana do this is so i can play bf2 it needs a 128 mb card and ssc is really laggey only 54 fpm but i can run americas armywitch is a much more video demanding game perfectly at like 185 fpm

pokesmot91 said:
well the whole reason i wana do this is so i can play bf2 it needs a 128 mb card and ssc is really laggey only 54 fpm but i can run americas armywitch is a much more video demanding game perfectly at like 185 fpm

Battlefield 2 is a VERY demanding game. An integrated video card (especially intels) won`t do the job properly. It should lag a lot.

Also, what do you mean with "185 fpm"? Did you mean fps (frames per second)??

The main problem here is finding a graphics card that can fit in a laptop... Maybe a smarter person than me will find a suitable card...

yea u cant upgrade a videocard in a laptop unless u upgrade ur mobo with one in the same series with a better videocard and iv already looked into it and itll cost me like 250 and another 100 to ship it down here to cabo by the way ur english is very good are u a gringo living in mexico

pokesmot91 said:
by the way ur english is very good are u a gringo living in mexico

Are you joking me?? My english is very POOR puke: .
And I`m a mexican, from Chihuahua, not a gringo...

well i got to say ur english writing skills are very good i am canadian,mexican and i moved to cabo 6 months ago and your writting is very good

I think you just said it. BF2 needs a 128MB card. Yours isn't. BF2 is a much more demanding game than you give it credit for. And just having any 128MB card doesn't mean it will run well. Many people with low end 128MB cards have low performance issues.

if you want to play BF2 make sure your card has pixel shader 1.4 or better. All the geforce 4's do not. I had to downgrade from a geforce 4 ti 4200 to an FX5700LE (which ran it horribly btw) to even get it to run. The geforce 4's just happen to have pixel shaders 1.3...and Nvidia supports BF2 supposedly...i wont say anything, but you guys can read between the lines;). Radeon 8500 has the pixel shaders though. If you can get a mobile card around radeon 9500 ability at least...you should be able to run it ok.

pokesmot91 said:
yea thats the card the laptop in thos series had

are you saying that what is in the laptop is comprable to the Radeon 9500? And if so, you have to remember that there is a big performance difference in borrowing RAM and having on the same board. It would have to have the RAM onboard with the GPU, and then the game might run half-way descent with all the graphics turned down...im not suggesting at card, just trying to offering like a floor or minimum which to spring upward to elect possible candidates. If it were me i wouldnt get anything lower than a 9700 pro quality card (i dont know anything about the mobile cards so im puting them in context with the non-mobile cards).

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back