Defragment Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

badadjective

This seems to be an age-old question but maybe some new fixes have come along:

Whenever I defrag in Windows XP it refuses to compact all the files. Although technically it is defragmented because there are no red areas, I have about 3 big sections of blue spread out over my drive. I want ONE blue section, all in the beginning of the drive in order to minimize seek times.

Why does Windows refuse to just put everything in the beginning of the drive, and is there a fix, a registry tweak perhaps, to remedy this?

Thank You!

No matter

I don't think it matters to have separate blue "sections" on your hard drive. It takes the same amount of time to access separate sections on the hard drive than one contiguous block. The only thing that slows down access time is if the files were fragmented.

I understand how you feel, nevertheless. I would like to see one whole block of blue section too, after defragmenting (like old Norton Utilities does it). But that's just part of my senseless analness.

Due to the hard disk drive implementation, there is a difference in transfer rate between files at the beginning of the disk, in the end, and somewhere in between.

As the speed remains constant, 7200 rpm or something else, the amount of data read from outer tracks is bigger than what can be read from inner tracks.

badadjective said:
This seems to be an age-old question but maybe some new fixes have come along:

Whenever I defrag in Windows XP it refuses to compact all the files. Although technically it is defragmented because there are no red areas, I have about 3 big sections of blue spread out over my drive. I want ONE blue section, all in the beginning of the drive in order to minimize seek times.

Why does Windows refuse to just put everything in the beginning of the drive, and is there a fix, a registry tweak perhaps, to remedy this?

Thank You!

I wondered about this a few years back when I got Win2K.
System restore ,page file ,Hibernation and Indexing service can all cause this especially on the C:\ drive. The tech(Microsoft) told me" it is by design and that it had no effect on the speed or integrity of you system ."
You have to decide for yourself .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back