Deleted files containing virus/trojan/spyware, now have windows problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

milky

Cleaning up a friends comp running WindowsXP Pro. Using BitDefender v8 Pro, I set it to delete rather than quarantine. I think I may have deleted a necessary file from the WINNT folder that contained a virus. All viruses and spyware have been removed successfully.

Problem: Cannot open "My Computer" or any other shortcut/folder on the desktop that would open a Windows Explorer window in order to view folder contents. Also "Search" for files does not open. When I attemp to open either of these, drwatson (windows debugger) starts (I only know this because I see it in TaskManager) the computer hangs for about 10 seconds, then the desktop refreshes and drwatson dissappears frrom the process list and computer stops hanging (or I can manually end the drwtsn32.exe process and the computer stops hanging immediately.

Note: Programs run from their desktop shortcuts without a problem.

So, as you can see, I have no way of viewing my hard drive contents in Windows UNLESS, I right-click a shortcut on the desktop and click properties then click "find target". This successfully opens a Windows Explorer window and then all other methods for viewing folder contents work including "Search" . Once I reboot, however, the problem is back.

Do you know what file I may have deleted?
What Options do I have for a fix without reinstalling windows?

if it is a Windows system file that is damaged or missng try running System file Checker. you will need your XP disk. witht he disk in the drive open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow system file checker will check all protected windows files and repair or replace any missing or damanged system files.

FIrst did you disable system restore once the virus was found?? Becuse if you did not the virus could very well comeback...

Have you tried right click on the task bar slect properties/start menu /customize/Advanced make sure my computer is checked disply as link..

IF this does not work make a new user accout but save the folder C/Docments settings user this one has the favorites and docoments in it and make a new account for the current user..

let us know.

thanks for the help gentlemen, but before you both had replied I had already uninstalled service pack 2 so I could reinstall Windows which I did then reinstalled all of the updates then turned off system restore as you suggested then proceeded to run all my spyware in Safe Mode as described at this link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html
including Spy Sweeper and Woia-La! No more windows problems and no more spyware/viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back