Deleting partitioned drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akabubblbutt

so i just deleted my d drive which was partitioned and there is this unallocated space and right now i want to restore that space back to the c drive so that there isnt 2 local drives and just one c drive with the 100gb not 2 local drives that are 50gb . if that makes any sense at all. may someone please help me =]]

You need software that can handle that, Windows can't naitively do that. An example would be Partition Magic, a Free example would be gparted.

Errrr.. No. Fdisk will want to wipe the drive to do this. You will either need specialized software like Partition Magic to do this, or a willingness to flush your drive. The gap between partitions (particularly their data areas) leaves you with an area that will not comply to file system standards and can cause issues.

TMagic650, please be careful when suggesting to do such things- Any time you play with partitions you run a high risk of corrupting data, and ESPECIALLY when you use FDisk (especially MS DOs's) That particular one is very destructive in nature.

Edit: The drive won't be wiped per se. However, you will most likely lose access to existing data.

try acronis or paragon 3rd party hdd partition joiner
don't Fdisk this will lose data (FAT)File Allocation Table

System Commander, Partition Magic 8.0 or higher, Acronis, Paragon... and a fw others. All cost money. Most require the latest version, as are not supported after they are a year old.

"TMagic650, please be careful when suggesting to do such things- Any time you play with partitions you run a high risk of corrupting data, and ESPECIALLY when you use FDisk (especially MS DOs's) That particular one is very destructive in nature."

I didn't see any mention that akabubblbutt wanted to save data. Unallocated space is just that, SPACE. He wanted to delete partitions. FDISK can do this

See kiddos, this is why its nice to actually say what you are wanting to do when asking for help. Good questions get good answers.

raybay - I offered a free solution in the first reply to this thread.

FDisk is too dangerous for anybody who has to ask this question. True, it can be easily done, but without error messagesa and caution messages, it is risky, and unnecessary. One of the standard partition managers will do the job AND protect the data, when properly used.

I use FDISK on a drive that I want to wipe or is free of wanted data. I don't play with multiple partitions except on drives over 100GB

Everyone is saying "safer" I'm saying use FDISK when DATA is not important and you want to reclaim hard drive space... That's all!

Do you get my position on this now? Was I clear enough this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back