Dell 4550 HD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend's Dell P-4 w/120g HD computer is giving me a fit. I scanned it for viri and it was loaded. Every time you went to start it up it would freeze. When I went into Safe Mode and came out for reboot would do the same thing. I ended up disconnecting the ribbon cable and power from the Dell and connecting it via 40 pin to USB adapter cable to my computer. I then proceed to format. Once formatted and hooked back up, regardless of reinstall Dell XP or boot disk, I can't get it to accept anything. Comes up Windows 32 file missing or NTLDR missing. What should my next step be? I was thinking about hooking back up to my computer via USB from HD and try to partition it.

You are obviously not booting from the CD. Go to BIOS setup and set the boot order so that CD-ROM comes before the hard drive.

Nodsu said:
You are obviously not booting from the CD. Go to BIOS setup and set the boot order so that CD-ROM comes before the hard drive.

I've set the boot sequence, that's what is throwing me. Any suggestions?

You are also prompted to press a key to boot from the XP CD..

Maybe you did something wrong while disconnecting the hard drive? Is the CDROM actually detected by the BIOS?

Nodsu said:
You are also prompted to press a key to boot from the XP CD..

Maybe you did something wrong while disconnecting the hard drive? Is the CDROM actually detected by the BIOS?

Just disconnected ribbon and power. The CD is detected in BIOS. When I formated without partitioning could that have posed a problem?

The CD should boot no matter what is on the hard drive.
When you start up the PC does it even try to read from the CD-ROM?

Nodsu said:
The CD should boot no matter what is on the hard drive.
When you start up the PC does it even try to read from the CD-ROM?

The light on the CD-R flashes and goes solid and then the screen goes black and to the NTLDR missing.

Dell 4550 HD Issue

Still no luck. Open for suggestions. I have a USB cable w/a 40 pin end on the other end that I can connect the Dell HD to my computer w/out taking it out. Should I attempt to install the Dell reinstall disk through my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back