Dell 8100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt.Samir

Well i have had this computer for about 5 years and have had many problems but i have come over then all. but now i seem to have reached a place i cannot fix. I have a Dell 8100 and i recently took some thing out and just dusted them off because of all the dust on them. and now when i start up the computer it does not seem to want to do anything. it turns on and the light is orange. and the like loading thing right under the power is just staying on for about 30 sec and then turns off. It will open the cd drives and when i put a cd in it will show it as reading it. but when i plug in a moniter or mouse or keyboard nothing happens. I did take off the green thing inside the computer by the cpu. But the things i took of to dust are the cpu, thing on top of the cpu, cpu fan, and some thing next to the cpu. i did not know what this part was so i looked up the model # on the dell site and it said "this product does not exsit", i also went to the site that makes the part and they do now have it either. but here is a pic of the inside of a comp that looks the same as mine except for the graphics card which is better then mine in the pic. i circled the things i took out of my comp. Does anyone know how i can fix this or why this happend?
P4Ninstall1.jpg

LOL. I had a giggle at your description of all the "things" you took off :)

My guess is, you removed the heatsink attached to the CPU and broke the seal for the thermal pad. Now your CPU can not effectively transfer its' heat to the heatsink/fan and it is overheating, causing the system to shut itself off before any damage happens.

Did you remove the heatsink from the CPU? The heastink is the grey part under the black fan in this picture:

epia_m_cpu_board.jpg

If you did, then you'll need to clean off the old thermal pad and apply some new thermal paste. I wouldn't recommend trying to turn on your computer again until you have done this.

Good luck!

Whenever you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you have to clean off the old thermal pad/compound and reapply new thermal compound such as Arctic Silver 5. As it is now, your CPU is overheating and shutting the system down.

Edit: That Don beat me to it again.

Still, even if it doesn't have a fan on the heatsink it doesn't change anything. There is a special paste (or pad) that is between the grey heatsink and the CPU to help the heat transfer out. Once you remove that heatsink, you need to apply new thermal grease as the old pad can no longer be used.

You can pick up thermal paste at any hardware store. Arctic Silver is the good stuff.

If you removed the heatsink from the CPU, then this is what is causing your problems. The CPU is overheating and shutting down your system.

Whether or not the new thermal paste will fix your problem depends on whether or not the CPU has been damaged from overheating. I wish you the best of luck!

thxs also i have another ? about my graphics card and a game i want to play. do u know where i can post this?

Depends on what it is you are going to ask, but either the "audio and video" forum or the "gaming and consoles" forum would be a good bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back