DELL D800 M60 8600 power supply fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power supply of my DELL Precision M60 (same MB as D800 and Inspiron 8600) does not work. The laptop does only start with battery and batttery will not be charged.
Does anyone know, which ICs are responsible for power mangement and which are most likely to be replaced?
Regards,

Klaus

Power Supply fails

Tedster said:
replace the charger.

It is not any external power supply that fails, of course I have tested the power adapter.

It seems to be an IC, that fails.

I found

"SC1476ITS PORTABLE IMVP-IV DUAL PHASE POWER SUPPLY CONTROLLER" located near the power jack,

and

"MAX1645B Advanced Chemistry-Independent, Level 2 Battery Charger with Input Current Limiting" near the battery connectors.

Did anyone experience with replacing these parts? Or is there another IC like AC/DC converter that may fail?

risck, yes, the AC-DC converter may be faulty, but there is another problem with the charging the dell notebooks. sometimes the single wire serial eeprom on the MB may burn. in this case any AC-DC converter won't charge the battery.
those chips you wrote are fundamental chips in notebook. if they fail - the notebook won't turn completely :)
there's way to solve the problem with the single wire eeprom. the way is to replace this eeprom from the AC-DC converter(yes, there's a eeprom in this unit with parameters of the AC-DC converter).

lamo said:
...there's way to solve the problem with the single wire eeprom. the way is to replace this eeprom from the AC-DC converter(yes, there's a eeprom in this unit with parameters of the AC-DC converter).

lamo,

thank you for reply. Can you tell me, how I can find this unit? Maybe near the power jack or the battery connectors? Single wire means, there are just two connectors, right?

Regards

Klaus

yes. near the power connector jack. it has the "Dallas" marks or so.. and you can get this chip from Dell AC chargers :)

but be careful at all actions. the single wire eeprom leads straight to the KBC chip. if you damage it - your MB will be destroed and you'll have to replace it completely.

lamo said:
but be careful at all actions. the single wire eeprom leads straight to the KBC chip. if you damage it - your MB will be destroed and you'll have to replace it completely.

lamo,
I find several "single wire" chips near the SC1476ITS chip, which indeed have 8 connectors with 7 on GND. There are one "I..R 345M" and two "F P37BF" nearby, but I can't find any DALLAS/MAXIM like "DS2430", "DS28EC20" or similar. Any idea?
Regards
Klaus

the chip marking may be different. in this case i can't help you because i never repaired those books to fix this problem. but you should remember that those operations(like recognizing the AC-charger) are doing with participation of KBC chip. so the problem may be with this chip or with the KBC's firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back