Dell Dimension 2400 HARDDRIVE UPGRADE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm new to the boards...

I've owned this dell 2400 for about 4 years now and I currently have a 80 gig harddrive and I only have about 5 gigs left on space. I don't really want to delete anything and was wondering if its possible to install a 2nd harddrive on it.
I'm preferably looking for a 160 gig harddrive.

also what do i need? i heard that you need a windows xp boot disc or something...

can anybody tell me where i can get the most for my money? not looking to spend over $100

thanks in advance

You can add a second drive, but you'll need to get a special bracket to hold the second drive. I've seen these brackets on ebay by third party companies for pretty cheap. You'd also need a new ide cable that supports 2 drives(the factory one only has one plug for 1 drive), but that's no big deal, only a few bucks. Almost any ide ata 100/133 drive(not sata) should be fine, you can install it as a slave drive and not have to install windows again if you just want extra storage space, or you could get an external hard drive if you're not the hardware upgrade type, like a western digital "mybook."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back