Dell dimension 3000 memory issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i just tried installing a 1gb pc3200 ddr sdram into my dell dimension 3k. when i turn it on the pc begins beeping and nothing happens. i dont want to beleive that i wated my money for nothing. can anyone pleaaase help?

here are the module's specs:
1GB DDR 184Pin
1x 1GB
400 Mhz
1024MB x 1
High Density Chip configuration 128x64
Non ECC
Non Registered
UnBuffered
CAS LATECY CL3

Hi crymz and welcome to Techspot :)

Dells (like most brand-named Pc's) often use cheap motherboards which are very picky about RAM. I ran into the same issue when trying to upgrade my mother's Dell Demension 2300.

your computer beeps when you have your new RAM stick installed, is that stick combined with another (older) RAM stick or is it installed by itself? if it's by itself and you get error beeps when booting then that RAM stick will never work with that board, but if it only beeps when installed next to another (older) RAM stick then they may be imcompatible. try the new RAM stick by itself and see what happens...

:wave:

cheers

thanks both you guys for replying. i did try it by itself and still nuthin. i thinkkpo6969 gavethe solution.
i was suspicious that it had something to do with the density, you've just now confirmed it. i guess i have to return this one then...thanks again 4 the help greatly appreciated.

cheers

thanks both you guys for replying. i did try it by itself and still nuthin. i thinkkpo6969 gavethe solution.
i was suspicious that it had something to do with the density, you've just now confirmed it. i guess i have to return this one then...thanks again 4 the help greatly appreciated.

although theres 1 thing ...what are the specs of a low density 1gb DDR PC3200/pc2700 memory module?just so i dont make the same mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back