Dell E1505 shuts down on battery only, no event log...hjt log posted...?? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

About 1 month ago, my laptop began random shutdowns when on battery power only. The battery could be at 30% or 99%. Shutdowns were so few I thought perhaps the battery clip on the bottom was getting pulled back and the battery temporarily removed, causing the shutdown. Nope! The event log gives no information to anything prior to shutdown, unless there is something 40 mins or hours before showing as a warning that I do not reconize?

I think it happened most times when coming out of hibernation...but NOT always! Now twice it has happened that the laptop is closed, and when opened back up it is shut down. I'm not sure if it was plugged in first then cover shut, or of the cover was shut then it was plugged in (it wasn't me, and my husband is at work). I would guess the second, because that would make sense if it shut down after the cover was shut, then plugged in (as the problem is notably when NOT plugged).

I used to be a network admin, so I know a bit about computers, but I just can't figure it out? Does anyone have a clue based on that description? I did my laptop diagnostics last weekend, and everything appeared fine. I installed an extra 1Gb ram a few months ago (adding to my 512mb), but that was long before this prob (and the ram was bought directly from dell). everything else seems fine on here. I dont ever travel anywhere with it, we just move it about the condo?

Here is the HTJ log just incase...

Please help! I am a student and teaching assistant and I am afraid I will be working on my thesis and have it shutdown on me! And I'm even more afraid I will have to call Dell and have a nice phone chat with them for 6 hours before they decide they need to ship away my computer! :)

Have tech'd a few Dell Laptops, one had this issue and it was that the battery was shorting the laptop. We fitted with a new battery and it seemed to overcome this problem. If you would prefer not to spend the money on a new battery. Have a look for any broken connections or liquid in the battery tray.

Simon

I took a look at you log only to see what programs were running. You have many that do not need to be on startup, then stay running in the background. This might be contributing to the battery problem:

You can take all of these off startup using the msconfig utility> uncheck all:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe (this is the process that automatically checks for updates. It is recommended that you do NOT have it enabled. Go to control Panel> Java> update tab> UNCHECL 'check for updates'> Yes.

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe- did you notice you have two of these?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
This reader can be called up when needed.

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
mdnsresponder.exe is a process associated with "Bonjour for Windows" software. It is used by ITunes for music sharing.
Do you need to have it always running?

C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
quickset.exe is a process belonging to Dell computers which allows you to access power management diagnostics and settings. It does NOT need to run in the background.

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
Synaptics touchpad tray icon- Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements
This is not for the touchpad itself but rather for the icon and enhancements. Are you using any touchpad enhancements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back