Dell GX150 won't power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
acquired a Dell GX 150 which may or may not have been working. The problem began as an unrecognizable hard drive, turns out someone removed the drive and didn't tell me. hooked up a new hard drive, system lit up, might have beeped (I don't recall now), but no video on a monitor that did not come with the Dell. Checked this monitor on another system, monitor broken. With new monitor, powered problem system back up, but just blinking yellow light.

If I let it sit for a couple days (hours won't cut it) I can get the system to power up briefly (less than a minute) and rear LED indicator lights come on, then they go out and the power light goes blinking yellow. There's never enough time for me to actually see anything on the monitor, nor do I think that it gets far enough to give me any beep codes. When it does this, the four LED indicator lights on the back of the system stay off. If I let it rest for several days and then try to power up, the 4 lights might come on, look busy for a moment, then everything dies.

CPU fan spins, yellow light on MOBO is on, but no spin in hard drive that I can hear, no beep codes, no rear LED indicator lights on. PSU fan does NOT spin. If I didn't know better I'd swear it gets locked in hibernate mode or something. To that end I pulled the battery to reset the bios, no luck. I have to hold the power button in for several seconds to get it to power down. Sometimes this does not work. Disconnected everything but video card and RAM and still nothing. I have no additional power supply to check if this is the problem but all the readings I've done with my voltmeter appear to be OK (accuracy is a question, I have a variable meter with a needle) but everything that should have power seems to be getting power.

Should my psu fan be spinning in this "suspended like" mode? If yes, is this a sign that the PSU's bad?

I found a post here to try resetting the power supply. I'm going to try it tonight. Any other suggestions?

Windows 98. The OS on the drive (that was missing) prior to me acquiring the system was probably Windows ME or XP (other systems came along with the one I have and had hard drives in them with one of these OS installed, so I'm assuming this one had it as well before the HD went missing)

Could b something to do with the PSU. If possible try do get put a diff PSU in it. Also make sure everything is hooked up to mobo and if needed PSU.

hard drive with windows 98 works fine in another system. All my intuition points to the psu, but I'm hoping someone can recognize the problem with certainty as a psu problem before I go out and buy one!

There are a couple of things you can check before borrowing a PSU

From what i have read i can tell that the hardware is working. Check to make sure that the fan on the CPU is on correctly. Maybe at the Dell boot screen press F2 and go into bios and check the CPU temperature. Mobo's have a thermal cutoff so you dont burn your CPU. If it runs for a minute and then shuts off that might be it. If thats not it im pretty sure it is the power supply too.

Psu

As a last thing, check all the connections you have in the computer, cooler case, cooler fan and in the last switch the PSU with another.
If it does work with the other PSU, then you have the answer to your problem.

I never thought to try the psu on ANOTHER computer...could that possibly fry something if the psu is bad? I don't want two broken computers.

Answer

Yes, it can fry something on the other computer.

You can test the PSU without installing into another computer by puting something else instead of an mobo to see that is sending power to a device that consumes equal amount of electrical power.

Yea u should try testing ur current PSU like Danimur suggested, you could also use a multimeter to test it if u have one of those. Also if u wanted to try changinf the PSU to check if its faulty, u would be better off taking a PSU from a working comp and putting that in the non working one.

pull CMOS battery

I have same issue with GX150 I have here....
I have been using this box to test various hard drives, and the problem occurs after I swap in another drive.

I have found that by unplugging the machine and pulling the coin CMOS battery for long enough for the CMOS to reset that the box is temporarily fine ... but then it happens again.

I have the V11 BIOS firmware which I believe is the latest....

Swapping the PSU does not fix it for me....

Has anyone found permanent fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back