Dell Inspiron 530: E4600 or Q6600..Vista or XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramboaz

Hello,

I've been browsing around and I'm not sure where to post this question. I'm hoping someone has some ideas or can lead me in the right direction.

A friend of mine is thinking to purchase a Dell Inspiron 530, although a little stuck on the specs. One system is using an Intel C2D E4600 with 3GB RAM, and the other Q6600 with 2GB RAM. The Q6600 is a little over the budget, but is it really worth it? How significant would the difference in performance be? The E4600 is 2.4GHz, 800 FSB, 2MB L2 Cache) and the Q6600 is Quad-Core (2.4GHz, 8MB L2 cache, 1066FSB).
This is for home use but wanting it to be future-proof as well.

I suggested considering a system from the Vostro 400 line (small business system). E6550 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 1333FSB) with 2GB RAM but Windows XP.

Please share some thoughts to give us an idea of which is a better route.

Thanks for the response, but the question remains

Thanks for your reply. We would be purchasing the system in Canada so pricing and product-line might be different.

Following the suggestion I received from someone- the Q6600 would provide a faster system over-all, even with slightly less RAM. Another consideration that I had was that the Q6600 would be future-proofing, especially since this system comes with a 4-year warranty. A lot can change in 4+ years, and if the warranty is for 4-years, hopefully the system will out-live the warranty.

Please share some more thoughts,
Ram

Thanks!

Thanks Bigfella,

That's what I advised my friend, however it's a build from Dell, I don't think we can choose which version of Q6600.

Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back