Dell Inspiron 7000 not booting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not very familiar with computers so bear with me.

I bought a used Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop that is not supposed to be working. The person I bought it from stated that it's supposed to have Windows 98, a 6.4 GB hard drive, and 192 MB of memory, and the description was that when turned on, the screen shows the Windows 98 startup logo, then does not go any further from there.

Upon receiving the laptop, however, when I turn it on it only displays the Dell logo at first, then goes into this set up where it is a black screen with the following information:

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-1998 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved

DELL Inspiron 7000 C400LT BIOS Rev A15 (040A)

CPU = Celeron 400 MHz
0640K System RAM Passed
0191M Extended RAM PAssed
0128K Cache RAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
UMB upper limit segment address: EB90
Mouse initialized
Fixed Disk 0: FUJITSU MHH2064AT
DVD-ROM: TORiSAN DVD-ROM DRD-U424

Press <F2> to enter SETUP

*From here on it just stays on that screen. Nothing happens even if I press F2. What could be the problem and any ideas how to fix this?

Here's an update.

I've been playing around on this laptop and when I ejected the DVD drive (I inserted a Dell Recovery CD for a Latitude CPi), it proceeded to add the following lines to the screen mentioned above:

Warning
0210: Stuck Key 23

Then it proceeded to display the Windows 98 logo (as described by the person I bought it from), accompanied by a fast, non-stop beeping sound. after about 5 minutes of this, it started displaying a black screen again with stuff that's too fast for me to read, then it's asking for me to select an option as to what mode I want it to start on. "Safe mode" is highlighted but the keyboard does not seem to be responding, and I could not go any further. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back