Dell Inspiron 9400...post Beep Or What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loco911

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 notebook. For about a week now it sounds a series of beeps at the www.dell.com - pbr 2....done screen. I can stop the beeps with the space bar or muting the volume. The beeps are so fast its hard to count. Its like 25 beeps then pause then 5 higher pitched beeps then pause the 5 more beeps at the same tone as the first 25ish. I have went through all the beep code lists I can find (including Dells) and still can't find my problem. I have done numerous tests on my hardware, running diagnostic hardware software by dell, etc. Everything seems to be in good health. The computer is working just fine other than the beeps. Other attempts at fixing this issue is system restore, chkdsk, fixboot, windows xp repair. I'm not completely computer illiterate, but this one just has me stumped. I've googled the PBR 2 thing, mainly because I don't recall seeing it before, but since it never beeped I may not have ever noticed it. I don't know if it has something to do with that, or its just my pc letting me know something is happening during boot that it can't display a message? Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, because I'm lost on it. Running Windows XP Pro SP2. It is also virus and spyware free. Help?

Had this once before and it was caused by the fan not starting up (gunged up with fluff bunnies) fast enough so the sensor reported it failed. After a few secs it ran fast enough to fool the sensor so the beeps stopped.
A Tmagic650 says - is it overheating?
Dell BIOS does not always use beeps - LEDs instead.

no it isn't overheating per say, but it does get pretty warm. i will most definitely check this out. it never even crossed my mind. i attributed the warmth to how hard i make the darn thing work! ha! lots of vid and pics. i will do that right now. thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it!!

fans are clean. at the moment not even running, altho I just turned it on. I will pay attention to when they come on and look to make sure both are operating. I know they passed the dell diagnostic test I ran.

So is it still beeping? If it is, check the power settings in the control panel. Make sure they are set to defaults

By changing the boot process from FAST BOOT to THOROUGH in the Bios settings, it no longer beeps. No it isn't overheating (and fans are clean). I can't make heads or tails of the beeps it was issuing before, even with Tedsters link of codes...they are really fast. I'm happy it isn't beeping at the moment and I hope by booting this way it will just be fine. I'm on my fifth boot with no beeps. Everything else is working perfect with the exception that windows will not update. I've tried everything I can think of to get that to work also, but nothing. Thanks for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

By changing the setting you have slowed down the boot process - this means that whatever was causing the problem has a chance to spin up. Thinking about it, it could be the hard drive so it might be a good idea to make a backup of your files before too long.

loco911 said:
By changing the boot process from FAST BOOT to THOROUGH in the Bios settings, it no longer beeps. No it isn't overheating (and fans are clean). I can't make heads or tails of the beeps it was issuing before, even with Tedsters link of codes...they are really fast. I'm happy it isn't beeping at the moment and I hope by booting this way it will just be fine. I'm on my fifth boot with no beeps. Everything else is working perfect with the exception that windows will not update. I've tried everything I can think of to get that to work also, but nothing. Thanks for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Try installing this tool to restore a working Windows Update:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windows_Update_Repair_Tool/1123680932/1

ABSOLUTELY WONDERUL - - - WORKED LIKE A CHAMP! Thank you so VERY much! I never found this page in any of my searches....so I bookmarked it.

That's great loco911,
It happend to me once, so I knew where to look...

... And Tedster,
you are usually so fast on the draw, you are bound to miss once in a while ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back