Dell Inspiron Laptop - battery not charging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery charging light is flashing orange and green which according to the helpfile means that 'the battery is too hot to start charging'. I have switched the machine off for half an hour - it is definitely cold, but this light continues to flash and the battery will not charge. The laptop is about 8 months old and battery use has been fairly light.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Danny

it sounds like a defective battery. if the laptop is only about 8 months old then it should still be under warranty. you should contact dell about the problem and get a replacement battery.

Hi,

Similar problem was reported to me early today - Dell D620 battery has not been charging properly ever since it was bought a year ago. For unknown reason it was only reported to me today.

It doesn't really make sense to me - I tried changing the power adapter and the Battery-is-being-charged light indicator turned on. There got to be some kind of an explanation to this but I certainly have no idea

Carl

If the battery is actually taking a charge but it seems the battery only lasts a short time after charging... it's time to buy a new battery. They eventually won't hold a charge very long

Note this is a separate problem then the case where the AC cable is plugged in yet the battery takes NO charge (what happens when the power jack breaks its connection to the computer so NO power reaches computer at all via AC adapter)

My E1505 has a charging problem similar, but not the same as yours.
Every time I plug in my Power Supply, my charging light comes on for approx 30 seconds and then goes off.
The Bios indicates that the Battery (New) is 61% charged and operating normally, but not charging, however, when I check the led gauge which should show at least 2 perhaps 3 lights (61%), does not show any. If I unplug the Power Supply it will not turn on.
The machine operates fine with the PA-12 Power Supply.
I would imagine (no basis for this) that if the Bios sees the Battery and reports it operating normal and 61% charged, not charging, then the charging system (?) is not working. or, the Bios is not reporting correctly.
Any ideas?
Thanks

battery charge

I put a new battery in my Dell Latitude D610 and once the battery ran down the first time it will not charge. I read about flashing the BIOS but it needs at least 10% power to download the update. I do not know what to do. Suggestions?

I am using an AC adapter, in fact I have two since I thought that was the problem but it was not.
Dell thinks that it may be a motherboard problem with the battery slot but I am going to get a compatible battery and update the bios to see if that works. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back