Dell Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently made a bet with my friend for some money. He says it's impossible to have an old dimension 2200 case with standard parts in it. I was wondering if anyone here knows about replacing the old dell mobo and psu with newer more standard parts.Is it even possible?

On older dell machines you have to switch BOTH the motherboard and the PSU. then you would have to modify the front panel connectors.

So in theory it is possible. Any recomendations for a psu and microatx board?As far as the front panel goes, surely someone must have fooled around and made it work(probably just going to take some research on my part).

Also, if I could I would want to try and keep everything but the processor out of the old 2200. It's only a bet for $300 so I don't want to spend too much.

Unless you want to add having to get another copy of XP to the "things to do list" you should stick with the same or similar Chipset that is now in the machine. if you allready have another copy of XP then get any Mobo you want.

Anything is possible if you have power tools, a soldering iron, and are technically savvy.

The only real measure of "can you" or "can't you" always comes down to how practical a particular venture may be.

iss said:
Unless you want to add having to get another copy of XP to the "things to do list" you should stick with the same or similar Chipset that is now in the machine. if you allready have another copy of XP then get any Mobo you want.
There's no way to transfer the xp over to another computer?I thought you could call microsoft.And by any mobo you mean micro atx's right?I don't think the 2200 case could handle anything bigger.

Sharkfood said:
Anything is possible if you have power tools, a soldering iron, and are technically savvy.

The only real measure of "can you" or "can't you" always comes down to how practical a particular venture may be.
Any advice for this project?

There's no way to transfer the xp over to another computer?I thought you could call microsoft.And by any mobo you mean micro atx's right?I don't think the 2200 case could handle anything bigger.

The OS that came on the dell is licensed to that computer only. the Dell XP cd or recovery CD is not a standard XP disk. once you change the mobo if you try to install XP from it. it will refuse and abort the installation . it does this because when booted from the CD first checks to see if there is a Dell bios. if a dell bios is not present it will abort the installation.

In MS eyes changing the mobo and the processor constitutes a new machine and therefore requires a new license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back