Dell Latitude D400 won't network !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.jacko

Ok, here's the deal;
My bro's dell latitude D400 has been running dog slow. Ok, its old, but it shouldn't be this slow.
I've cleared off the usual poison that home users put on their pc's, ie. Nortons, AOL (aaagghhhh!!!!) and some other useless junk from msconfig, which has reduced startup time slightly. Disabled a few old processes and services that needn't be there (couldn't uninstall symantec virus client as its password protected so just disabled the service).
BUT, my main concern is its running XP Pro SP1. I cannot for the life of me get it onto the net to download and install SP2.
He does not have the original disks to re-install either. It was an old work laptop that they gave him yonks ago.
I cannot even get it onto my work network via cable or wireless g card. I've disabled the wireless card and am resorting to manually configuring the TCP/IP settings, but it wont ping anything and nothing can ping it.
DHCP just results in an IP address of 169.254.x.x which we all know is a baddun!
Tried updating the nic drivers by inserting a XP Pro SP2 disc and let it find the newer ones. It did update, but made no difference.
Currently have just installed bitdefender and am running a full scan.
Other than that, i'm stuck. Unless someone can point me to a place where all the D400 drivers are. Then i can reformat with SP2 and put all the drivers back on.

Any advise appreciated, cheers!
:)

edit: just ran the diagnostics on the hidden partition, all tests passed ok, even the NIC ones.
I'm really stumped on this one.

Doh!!!!!! :dead:

Never mind, i found the problem. Am i the dumbest :monkey: in the tree or what?! :blush:
I plugged the nic cat5e cable into the switch, but not plugged the switch into the presentation, so it went nowhere.

FFS....even Dell couldn't help me on the phone....
Catastrophe averted....

CASE CLOSED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back