Dell Precision 370 Workstation BIOS Factory Locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

So i was browsing for 7 days, i'm currently using my home made computer due to the problem with my Dell.

well at first everything was working like a charm, i installed the DVD-Writer and put it in Slave mode.

that day, when i wanted to install Vista on it, i tried to make the DVD-Writer as a primary drive, when i entered the BIOS, everything was alright but when i tried to change anything it tell me that the SETUP is locked, there is no password at all, its just this Factory password, so i tried to remove the Battery like has been suggested everywhere, but unfortunately XP isn't working at all, neither from the safe mode, all i get is that windows cannot start probably. tried to enter the BIOS, the date is back to 2005, and the factory password was still on, and the setup is locked.

now, i think my problem is in the BIOS, i need to put my dvd-writer as primary, but i need the Master Password.

I tried to contact Dell but they needed some details that i don't have, its just they are asking too much and i just have few info. and above all, i don't have a fax machine.

so any help would be appreciated. :)

What happens when you change the jumpers on the drives from cable select to jumper them as master and slaves?
These are normal settings for networked machines and servers. Who setup your system?

raybay said:
What happens when you change the jumpers on the drives from cable select to jumper them as master and slaves?
These are normal settings for networked machines and servers. Who setup your system?

i bought it from my company when there was an auction. the CD-Rom on the Master and the DVD-Writer is on Slave, if i tried to put the DVD-Writer as Master and the CD-ROM as Slave when windows start both won't show in My Computer, i tried to plug out the CD-ROM, still the same.

i went to Dell merchant here, they couldn't help me either. although they told me to install XP and be a good girl, which i won't since i bought Vista already.

i know that if i got my BIOS opened, i can change what drive to boot... etc.

so any help with the how to get my Factory password, or even clear it, i would be thankful.

Perhaps you could go to the www.dell.com site, then to drivers and downloads and check the BIOS against what you have, as well as all other drivers, by date, in comparison with yours. If the drivers are dated since you bought the computer, you need to update them.
We service and repair a very large number of Dell computers. We know that many of their CD and DVD drives have a very short life.
Use your service tag, if still in warranty, to get tech support from Dell.
If you have drives that are more than six months old, and out of warranty, go to Wal-Mart, BestBuy, your friendly neighborhood computer store, or your favorite online store and buy replacements... LG, Samsung, and Liteon, are reliable and low cost. Avoid the Sony and HP, as their costs are higher, as are their failure rates.
Optical drives are lasting about a year these days, unless you use them a lot, in which case, they fail in six to nine months way too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back