Desktop Icons Missing, Right Click Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
My desktop icons and taskbar is missing even on safe mode. Only the wallpaper is showing. I am able to run programs,open folders and go online normally through the 'task manager'.

This happened before and I did a virus scan. Norton found the virus and resolved it. But this time Norton is not finding any virus. Can anybody help me with this?

mjojoanne said:
My desktop icons and taskbar is missing even on safe mode. Only the wallpaper is showing. I am able to run programs,open folders and go online normally through the 'task manager'.

very interesting

Help from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318027/en-us
Does not match the symptom - taskbar invisible in safe mode

Right-click has no effect you say. Does task manager indicate some application is running that is displaying a full-screen image that covers the desktop? It's a wild thought that points to virus attack.

Task Manager gives you the opportunity to browse & confirm that your desktop contains shortcuts. Documents & Settings > all users contains the balance of desktop shortcuts.

Sorry, I offer no solutions. Just suggestions to find a thread to pull on to unravel this problem.

Touch mouse pointer to all sides of the screen. Taskbar could have been moved or resized. If resized, a double-head arrow appears; move it toward center of screen to enlarge it.

Not much help but,

A desktop right click doesn't have that option.
But did you move your mouse pointer to all sides at the edges.?
It can be placed L,R or Top or Bottom in Auto Hide.
But Remove any Desktop pictures and set it to none.
Also check the Customize option.
My full screen desktop picture doesn't hide mine though.
Do you have Tweakui to Repair Icons ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back