Desktop no longer has sound- "This device cannot start. (Code 10)."

Status
Not open for further replies.

knownothing

Hi guys, I joined up because I've got a pc problem and I found so much info from experienced techies here.

I've got an:

eMachines desktop, model T4080
Bought Jan 2003
Intel Pentium 4
2.4 GHz
512 MB of RAM
Windows XP Home

This is my issue:

Sound has been working great. Used it everyday up until last Friday. Went on a weekend trip, unplugged the pc from the power surge protector. Came back Tuesday, Turned on power surge protector, plugged pc and accessories. I didn't even turn on the PC yet and it seemed to try to power up itself. The power button was blinking frantically and a synchronized sound came with it. I pressed the power button to turn it off, turned it back on after a few seconds and it started up. No sound at the welcome screen. Played a video on Windows Media player, no sound.

Opened up the PC to look at the MOBO, and I have an attached sound card. Can't be loose right? So I contacted eMachines cust. service and chatted twice with 2 different reps.

First rep got remote access from my pc and downloaded Avance AC97 driver from the emachines site and reinstalled the driver. (Which I did the day before). He told me it would solve the problems. Restarted the PC and still I'm having the same problem with my sound card.

Windows states "...no active mixer devices available..." when attempting to open the master volume control. Under SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES PROPERTIES, windows indicates "No Audio Device" Under DEVICE MANAGER, AVANCE AC97 AUDIO device status: This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

The second rep had me go and uninstall the drivers in safe mode, then reinstalled in normal mode thereafter. Same problem.

I'm not sure if there is any relation...but My HP v40 all-in-one is no longer working either. Insert the USB and reinstalled drivers, but the PC doesn't even prompt me that "Found new hardware".

What to do? Thanks all for your patience.

Charles (aka knownothing)

Do you have a virus scanner? If so, make sure its up to date and run it.

Rik.

Sounds like a virus to me. Also, you could try removing the soundcard, give the whole pc a good dusting then refitting it.

Let me know if you need anymore help. Rik.

How do I remove the sound card if it is onboard? I'm not aware of that procedure.

Also, is the virus affecting my usb ports as mentioned earlier?

Thanks.

Sorry, misread your first post and thought you had a seperate soundcard, Im having some trouble with my eyes at the mo as I am feeling quite ill. Another thing you could try is uninstalling both, then before you let the pc reboot, go into your windows\inf directory and remove everything there to do with both devices. Then use regedit and remove all references to them. then reboot. Also go into safe mode and make sure there are no multiple device drivers. With the inf files removed hopefully windows wont detect the previous drivers and will install new ones or ask for an install path.

When it has rebooted check for any device conflicts. Rik.

Update

Thanks for the response Rik. I got fed up and put in a new sound card. Sound is back :) . My power supply had to be replaced too.

My problem is still with the USB ports. I can't find anything wrong with it under the Device manager - Universal Serial Bus Controllers. However, under Device manager - System devices I've found something that may help?

Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM SMBus Controller - 24C3

Device Type: System devices
Manufacturer: Intel

Device status

No drivers are installed for this device.

If you are having problems with this device,
click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter.

---

I uninstalled it and rebooted. Nothing.

It's not picking up any usb cables when plugged in, it's like the port (or hub?) is dead.

Is there something I can do, or should I just buy a new set of USBs? :confused:

Thanks again.

By the way, I hope you're feeling much better. Very generous of you to help me out even with your eye troubles. :)

I think there might have an electrical shock at one point which is why all your integrated components seem to be dying off or at least giving problems working the way they used to.

Have you tried contacting eMachines for checkup ?

Thanx, im feelin' a bit better now. I take it the usb ports are on the mobo and not a card. If so, that may be the wrong driver for them, ive had the same problem with a card. I had to uninstall them, remove all .inf files in wondows/inf that related to them and get the proper driver from the manufacturer of my card. Try it and see what happens.

Hope that helps. Rik.

An honor to have the chancellor join this thread!

Thanks for adding in with Rik, Didou! I need all the expert help I can get.

The issue of the USB port problems was not addressed to emachines yet. I'm going to call them in a few minutes to see what they can do.

Yes, the USBs are onboard. Sorry I omitted that detail. I don't know how to remove all .inf files as you describe, would it be too much to ask you a step-by-step?

This petty problem is a big problem to me. I feel my PC is getting the better of me! :blackeye:

I just bought a DYNEX usb 2.0 pci card (4 port) from Best Buy, I haven't opened it yet. I'd like to salvage my onboard usb's because it has 6 ports (2 in the front)...please let me know if I'm wasting my time.

I'll let you guys know if emachines was able to help me. I'll come back and post in a few.

Thanks to you both,

Charles

If you wish to remove the .inf files i was on about then heres a quick guide (please forgine any spelling mistakes, im still having some trouble seeing).
Firstly, .inf are windows onformation files, its how xp stores driver data. The only problem is it also stores incorrect ones too.
To remove them, use windows explorer, click on your windows directory (usually on c Drive) then scroll down until you find the inf directory and click on that. There should be a lot of .inf files in there, you need to look for all files with usb somewhere iin them. if you are not sure what to get rid of, hit the "print screen" key then open something like paint, click the edit on the top menu bar and select "paste", this will give you a screen shot which you can send me if you want.
Removing .inf files is a time consuming business im afraid but in some cases its the only cure.

Hope that helps. Rik.

Rik,

I wanted to make sure I came back and let you know that I just fixed the problem by installing the new usb card. I hate losing the 6 ports onboard, but it saves a lot of time and frustration.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly and helping me out consistently.

You're too cool. :cool:

Charles :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back