Device Driver Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Recently, my computer have been rebooting by itself whenever I use it for a long period.

Then I could not play graphic games as it will hang and reboot itself or I would just press the reset button (if i can't wait.)

Once after it restarts and I get back to the desktop, the system prompt me to send an error report which will say that there was an unknown device error.

At first, I thought it was my motherboard. But it's new. So, I realized that it was my nVidia GeForce MX 400 graphics card that caused the problem. I took it out and unscrewed the fan to remove all the dust.

Now, the system does not reboot by itself (although i have not tried playing graphical games). However, the speed deteriorate. really badly.

so now, the question is.. will buying a new graphic card solve the problem? If so, how do I know what graphic card is compatible with the system. Or should i get additional ram? (im currently using 512MB only)

Sorry for the long story. I'm not really an expert in computer hardware. Thanks in advance.

The newness of a component does not make it fault-free.

Do you have the latest drivers for everything? Well, for your graphics card, the latest may not be the fastest, but you should at least have a version number somewhere in the late 20s.

Test your RAM, test your hard drive(s). Do some processor-intensive tasks and see if crashes, monitor the system temperature. Only then do some graphics-intensive stuff and see if it restarts, monitor the temperatures.

Yes, I have the latest drivers. When you say "Do some processor-intensive tasks" how do I go about doing that? And how do I monitor the system temperature?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back