Device Manager help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have just acquired a two year old Dell 8400 on which the hard drive has been wiped clean and reformatted. I've installed WinXP SP2 Version 2002 and the installation seems okay.

However, I cannot connect to the internet (via cable modem, Lynksis router, and Ethernet cable). Using the cable company's internet installation disk, it gives the error message: "Your computer does not have a network adapter installed." The previous owner was an internet gamer so I know he had all of the necessary accessories installed.

In checking the Device Mgr., "Other Devices," the following all have yellow question marks: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Modem, and Video Controller.

I'm assuming this is a driver problem but don't know how to fix it. Suggestions?

Although I'm a longtime computer user, technically (and terminology-wise) I'm a still pretty much a novice.

The big yellow question mark means that there is no device driver installed or an incorrect driver installed. For each device with a yellow question mark, look up the manufacturer web site and download the device driver for it and install it.

Thanks much. I'm assuming I can download to this computer, copy to a flash drive, and transfer to the Dell 8400. If not, would appreciate more instructions. Otherwise, will give it a try and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back