Diablo 4 could be announced at BlizzCon

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: The last major Diablo game came more than six years ago and a lot has changed since that time. At this point, it seems like nothing short of a Diablo IV announcement will be able to rescue Blizzard from its PR nightmare and that might be exactly what we are in store for.

Blizzard has been on a bit of a rollercoaster lately. Most expected the company to announce Diablo IV at last year’s BlizzCon convention in Anaheim. Instead, gamers got a reveal for a mobile version of Diablo that still hasn’t launched and people weren’t happy.

The developer’s fortunes took a turn for the better this summer with the arrival of World of Warcraft Classic yet inexplicably, Blizzard somehow got itself tangled up in the ongoing protests in Hong Kong. Public opinion took another ding. With BlizzCon 2019 just around the corner, can the embattled developer once again redeem itself?

Rock Paper Shotgun points to an article from German publication GameStar highlighting an upcoming Diablo art book. An official advertisement for The Art of Diablo specifically mentions the publication will include artwork from Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo III and Diablo IV. Notably, Blizzard has never officially mentioned a game called Diablo IV and a typo seems unlikely as all three of the other games in the series are referenced individually.

BlizzCon 2019 runs from November 1-2 although pre-game festivities start a day earlier on Halloween. The Art of Diablo is due out in early November.

Permalink to story.

By now, Diablo has become stale. Even if it's released, it will feel like another generic ARPG, like countless other clones. The genre has been milked dry.

IMHO, the old, gamer-centric Blizzard died after Diablo 2 and Warcraft III. Nowadays, it is a money-centric corporate.

D4? The "don't you guys have mobile phones?" question is still ringing in my ears.

And....how many times more do we have to kill Diablo....again???

Good memories of the build up to the launch of Diablo 3. Well not the game per se, I didn't care in the slightest.

My girlfriend was hyped for it though. For some reason just wanted to talk about it all day. Then she got extremely horny. The months leading up til launch were great.

I don't know why I am writing this. What can I say. Women get the horn for Diablo? I don't know.

Good memories of the build up to the launch of Diablo 3. Well not the game per se, I didn't care in the slightest.

My girlfriend was hyped for it though. For some reason just wanted to talk about it all day. Then she got extremely horny. The months leading up til launch were great.

I don't know why I am writing this. What can I say. Women get the horn for Diablo? I don't know.

Whatever this guy just said 100%.

Hmm... no skeletons to pander for the Chinese? No gore so we don't hurt the sensibilities? Some lgbt characters as in Overwatch just to virtue signal? Just a pinch of microtransactions or another Auction House?!
Nope. Not this time. Let's just wait some months and then we'll see.
Won't preorder ANYTHING from Chinzzard after the Blitzchung HK fiasco.
What, you thought we'd forget so soon?!
"don't you guys have mobiles?"
"Don't you guys have FREE SPEECH?"

Sex do really sell! Remind me of the song "Me so Horny".

I was one of the first to "discover" the original Diablo shareware in the late 90's that made the company the success it is today.

The keys to a good "Diablo" is the ability to sit down and play a quick game using nothing but a mouse. Lots of eye-candy without too much complexity. No joypad key-combos that would tax a double-jointed Olympic gymnast. And no need to connect to a network just to play a quick solo game.

If Blizzard is smart (which is debatable since they came up with D3), they'll remember that Diablo players are more sophisticated and aren't looking for "appointment only" gaming that requires you to set aside an entire day, arrange a game-time with a half-dozen friends, and would be more easily played in a VR Body Suit than a 3 button mouse.

For me there has only been two diablos, 1 & 2 . First one is Great. Second one is Gold!
After blizzcon "dont you have phones" my hope literately died for 4th Diablo.
Looks like Blizzard has been taken over by guys who only care about money.
Blizzard use to listen to their community's, now they only care about China's money.

Back