Did I kill my motherboard while installing a PCI card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday my PC was working fine. Earlier today I installed a PCI wifi router card into my PC and replaced the RAM simultaneously but when I reassembled it and switched it on the monitor remained a blank screen displaying a "no signal detected" message. This happened several times. I tested the monitor on another PC and it was fine.

When I switched it on again I listened carefully. PSU fan works, harddrive spins, CD-Drive spins still no signal just a pitch black. Switched the RAM back to combination which I know works. No response. Took out the PCI card. No response. Disconnected all drives. No response. Took out RAM and drives, no response.

Noticed that there is no beep which occurs when I switch it on. What should I do? The warranty is over so is there anything I can try before replacing the motherboard? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

open it back up and reseat all the connections. make sure the ram, hard drive processor are all in place firmly

What he said.

Yah check all that and if it still wont work try to fine another vid card to test you didnot cook that. People often forget that the human body will not feel static till about 3000 volts and it only takes 30v. to fry a computer part. newer computers (all ATX) but more-so the newer the chips are the more this applies. unlike the old AT form factor cases you can't just not move around alot and hold on to the case to stay grounded you need a ground strap. With some computers I would even use them for cleaning some parts (alittle bit of over kill but do you want to risk killing a computer?) as they can fry very very fast. ESD is nobodys friend...

you may have to replace your RAM as well and I would keep a close eye on your PSU as-well because all power supply units are very fine tuned hardware even the cheap ones.

Also if you don't switch the Power supply off at the back switch, or umplug it, then you are still providing standby voltages to the motherboard and could have shorted something while installing the card or RAM.

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults with a jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back