Did i ruin my good stick of memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor

Im a nub in computer and parts ;(

I accidently put my stick of ram on top of a cd disk while investigating my inner box... After I install the stick of memory back in and boot up. I get this weird beeeeep noise. I couldn't get my pc to boot no more. Only way i could fix that beeeping problem was that i have to take the good stick that turn bad out :<

Did I did something horribly wrong to my stick of ram or causing other problems that i didn't know yet? :(

I suspect that you are not properly fitting these DIMMs, and that you are not pushing them in all the way correctly. All of the gold edge should be sunken into the connection, or at leastthere should only be a trace of the gold edge visible.

Memory is keyed so that it only goes in one way round, so check before you push hard that you are in fact putting it in the right way. Hold the module beside the slot first and ensure you have it the right way round.

Try reseating all of the RAM. Take your time, be gentle but firm. A LOT of memory returned to stores and manufacturers is not faulty at all.

Phantasm66 said:
I suspect that you are not properly fitting these DIMMs, and that you are not pushing them in all the way correctly. All of the gold edge should be sunken into the connection, or at leastthere should only be a trace of the gold edge visible.

Memory is keyed so that it only goes in one way round, so check before you push hard that you are in fact putting it in the right way. Hold the module beside the slot first and ensure you have it the right way round.

Try reseating all of the RAM. Take your time, be gentle but firm. A LOT of memory returned to stores and manufacturers is not faulty at all.

:) thx for the advice.
question: what do you mean reseating all of the ram? Like pull it all out then reseat them all over again?

;D

Sometimes it also helps to clean the golden contacts of the Ram modules with a pencil eraser for example. Then reseat the Ram just as Phant said, making sure the modules are inserted all the way in (try not to bend the mainboard too much though).

I'll give it a shot, thz pc masta's :cool:

WOOT! I did it! struggle with the chip for abit but i manage to her give in. Its tight at first but i smoothing enter it to the zone and start up without a buzz. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back