Die XP, Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats pretty good Unc. Fortunately my XP seems to be fairly free of those Fatal Exception Errors. Linux was a little hairy on my system. (eg. if you killed an app, it wouldn't start again until a reboot)

SNGX1275, i concur, i have never had any problems with XP. It upgraded from 98 flawlessly, and it has never crashed in 3+ months of use.

-Bourbon

Hehehehe...I like the pic. Whoever did that should've included some Penguin stickers to put up after it...Where was it shot, anyway?

Say I have turned to the dark side if you like, but actually I have come to like XP. Initially I hated it.... But its grown on me. I think you need a fast PC and some patience...

The "REAL" uncleel

Of course most of "us" do the backups, have the correct drivers, solve irq problems etc. etc. Many do not!

I just bought a Visioneer One Touch 7600 USB Scanner from a guy for $35.00 Said Visioneer had no XP drivers, & did not plan to develope any. While I was there, in his junk pile, I saw a NEC 660+ laser printer. He said, "take it; doesn't work, needs a toner cartridge!"
Cleaned it up, downloaded the drivers, appeared to work ok. Sprung $30 for the toner cartridge, now I'm in like Flint!

Re: The "REAL" uncleel

Originally posted by uncleel

Cleaned it up, downloaded the drivers, appeared to work ok. Sprung $30 for the toner cartridge, now I'm in like Flint!

LOL!

Exactly.:)

I concur to. I must admit I like the configurability of XP (and the fact it is not win98). I still have a dualboot, for games and stuff, but I agree that with a fast PC XP is a very nice experience.

I think XPs great, though admittedly gets my some of those "warning low on virtual memory" messages when playing games more than Windows 2000 ever used to. But that was easily enough resolved.
Can't really complain about it other than that. I gave up on dual booting a few months after XP, then it's been all Windows 2000 until XP arrived.

hahaha, that's a cool picture! I borrowed Red Hat Linux 7.2 today from local library and installed it, no major problems yet. It does take some time to set things right, though. Longer than in XPee - probably because there are no (irritating) wizards.

He will join us, or die, Master...

One thing I hate about XP is the way that, after a fresh install, all of these annoying little things pop up all over the place wanting you to sign up to MSN, take this BS tours, hold your hand through everything. Its one thing to have all that in the Home Edition but I expected that MS would think in the majority Professional will be installed in the work place by the support team, who will know how to access annoying wizards perfectly well, thankyou.

Its pretty annoying. :blackeye: :eek: :mad: I would rather they put in some option to turn off all that.

Once its up and running and customed to your liking, though, I'd say its pretty good. I think IE6 under XP is pretty buggy, though. But I like the way that the Remote Desktop Connection program (or the terminal client to people who know better) is already installed, and Media Player 8 is pretty cool.

Re: He will join us, or die, Master...

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Once its up and running and customed to your liking, though, I'd say its pretty good. I think IE6 under XP is pretty buggy, though. But I like the way that the Remote Desktop Connection program (or the terminal client to people who know better) is already installed, and Media Player 8 is pretty cool.

I will have to agree that IE6 is kind of buggy, but for the most part mine seems to be running okay. Have a few problems every once in a while, but nothing major. The Remote Desktop Connection is also very helpful for helping your parents do something on their computer at home (of course this is because they don't undersand it all in the first place). Just makes it easier to do yourself from far away then try and tell them over the phone or something.

I really like XP, no HUGE problems here, just a few minor ones that I just shove aside and get on with things.

A Jedi! Well wha'ya know?!

At work I use the Remote Desktop connection to open up the desktop on the servers to do administration.

But these tools have existed for a while. Windows 2000 has it in the forum of the terminal client and server. I am trying to work through the firewall at work so that I can open my desktop in the house from work and tell my machine to do things.

I really like xp, so so so easy to install, i tried installing mandrake and Redhat but it niether worked, i suspect it's my radeon card, dunno. The thing is when i install and re-install it gets on my girlfriends nerves so i have to try and get things running by the time she gets home from work, just can't get linux figured out that fast.:eek:

The XP Verdict

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,78073,00.asp
Windows XP doesn't walk on water. Despite the biggest beta test program ever and claims that Windows XP would be the best Windows to date, the much-heralded new operating system turns out to be merely very good, rather than miraculous. Instead of universally smooth upgrades and broad compatibility, some upgraders are getting nailed by misidentified hardware, unexplained reboots and crashes, and hardware and software vendors who've been slow to support the new OS--snafus that also plagued Windows Me and Windows 2000 upgrades.

Hey, I hadda re-register...I wasn't all that impressed by XP Pro, the only thing it seemed any better at, to me, was viewing movie clips. I still use 98Lite :p

I hate windows XP, well, I don't hate it, but I do have a lot of probs with it. I had no problems with my Win98 install for years, but I thought I should upgrade so I can keep up with things. Have you ever had the problem when you log out of your account to access another, and your account is part of the administrators. I go into another account which is a limited account, and when I try to go back to mine, it says my account has been locked out. odd??? I think so. Also, I've had many problems with Quake3 and RtCW, errors that make the game stop. Most of the times it's errors while in Multiplayer. But, that doesn't matter, I really don't like how explorer.exe gets an error when I view the folder of which my webpage is in. It's only when I view the folder with the thumbnail view turned on. I also had xp crash when i changed my resolution from 1280x1024 to 800x600. I have XP Pro... and I'm not asking for help on any of this, I'm just venting my probs. I'm thinkin' I wanna go back to Win98, but, I have a crummy load of programs that I've downloaded, and WAY too much to backup with CD's.
(* edited by mod)

If only knew how to set the darn thing up so I don't have to log in - I want to use XP as soon as it boots being only a single user.

(* edited by mod)

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
If only knew how to set the darn thing up so I don't have to log in - I want to use XP as soon as it boots being only a single user.

You can try not assigning any password to your account. That'll make XP login automatically.

Originally posted by ToRN
I concur to. I must admit I like the configurability of XP (and the fact it is not win98). I still have a dualboot, for games and stuff, but I agree that with a fast PC XP is a very nice experience.

What are you dualbooting ? ME or Win98 ? I was thinking of doing just that but could never find anyone that had XP and dualbooted for gaming do you see a difference ? and would you recomend it. Is the performance better enough to justify a dual boot system? Thanx for your opinion and input.:cool:

IMO, it there isn't any reason to dual boot Win98/ME with WinXP/2k. I've made the switch to 2k/XP and never looked back. You do lose a bit of speed in Win2k/XP, but not by a significant amount. Unless you're playing DOS games or have an app that can't run on 2k/XP, you can do everything in 2k/XP and plus you get the stability too!

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8

(* edited by mod)

If you download TWEAKXP, then there is a setting in there that says something like log me in everytime I restard my computer. I don't remember exactly what it says, because I don't use it. As I have many people that want to use my computer all day long. So I have a password, but I KNOW for fact that there is something in there about that. Check it out.

Originally posted by poertner_1274

If you download TWEAKXP, then there is a setting in there that says something like log me in everytime I restard my computer. I don't remember exactly what it says, because I don't use it. As I have many people that want to use my computer all day long. So I have a password, but I KNOW for fact that there is something in there about that. Check it out.

It that something like TweakUI for Win2000 and below? Since we're on the topic, is TweakUI compatible with WinXP?

I'm still not sure if I like XP or not. Overall I find it to be a good OS, kind of refreshing from Win2k. However, I've installed XP on 3 different systems, and 2 of those systems crashed after using Windows Update. And one system has intermitant boot problems, basically locking on boot once in a while, but will boot fine most of the time.

It's kind of hard to not like it, because its just so pretty. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back