Diff between a 2.6 GHz and 2.0 GHz processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenaWP

I've been thinking about upgrading my processor, but it looks like the fastest chip that might work is a 2.6 GHz Intel P4 (currently have a 2.0 GHz P4). There might be a 2.8 GHz, but that one seems to be hard to find and costs like 2x what the 2.6 GHz does.

I do some graphics work with Photoshop and a couple of times a year render MiniDV to MPEG2 video ... that's about the most processor-intensive stuff I do.

Otherwise, no gaming, but some occasional surfing.

How about the Celeron vs P4? Are there any advantages to one over the other?

I guess I wonder if I'll see any big diff between a 2.6 and a 2.0 processor ... mostly because I just got a new 2.8 GHz Dell at work, and though it seems a bit faster to react than my home machine, it doesn't slap you in the face with the speed increase. However, I haven't benchmarked the two systems.

You must have a socket 478 ?

You might notice a bit of difference with the faster CPU when doing intensive things - like your video editing, but just browsing etc, not much.

A Celeron is a "de tuned" P4, designed for cheap price. they have smaller caches etc and will not perform as well as a "proper" P4.

Thanks Mr. P.

Yes, it's socket 478. I have struggled to get info on doing this upgrade from Asus (mobo maker, but because it's OEM for Sony they say they don't keep any info on it) and from Sony, who says processor upgrades are not supported and essentially refuse to provide any info whatsoever. They did however say something interesting in an email reply to my question about processor upgrades ... they said: "The maximum supported CPU clock speed is determined by the voltage, bus speed, and multiplier support of the motherboard."

The voltages of the 2 chips seems comparable ... the fs bus speeds are both 400 ... but I've never heard of "multiplier support of the motherboard" (ok, granted I'm a total novice, but still ....).

Is the multiplier support going to be an issue?

Short of pulling the side off your case & checking the Model # of the board, you could use Everest, it'll tell you more than you need to know about your PC - including Motherboard info.

Lavalys don't do the free version anymore, but heres a link to the last free one

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

Then you can check the ANUS, oops, ASUS site and see exactly what your board supports - hopefully up to 3.2 - where you will notice a big difference

Mr Papschmere said:
Short of pulling the side off your case & checking the Model # of the board, you could use Everest, it'll tell you more than you need to know about your PC - including Motherboard info.

Lavalys don't do the free version anymore, but heres a link to the last free one

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

Then you can check the ANUS, oops, ASUS site and see exactly what your board supports - hopefully up to 3.2 - where you will notice a big difference
I wish. As I said, Asus has no information about the motherboard. Sony won't share the info they have. Rock. Hard place. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back