Different Card, Same Problem (HELP!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

Well, this increasingly frustrating problem all started months back when I was trying to replace my 6800GT OC (AGP 256MB) video card with a new 7800GS OC. The problem was that I was getting a "No Signal" message on my 19" LCD @ boot time. I could get into BIOS and change CMOS settings but I could not get any further than that. The "No Signal" message would pop up and the monitor would power down to stand-by. Safe Mode doesn't work either.

So, i figured I would call tech and set up an RMA if need be. Turns out they wanted to RMA the card so I did. When I got the replacement, the same EXACT thing happened. I RMA'ed the adapter a second time. A few days later, I received my second replacement only to find that it followed the same trend.

I called up tech support again and guess what they had to say? I didn't want to RMA the card a 3rd time because at this point I figured it to be useless. The card is now in my room collecting dust. I went ahead and bought another card - this time a 7950GT. Got the card today and was anxious to test it out. Long story short...that's why I'm here. The card did the same thing as the last.

I know a lot about graphics cards and how the work but this has me totally stumped. I disabled my on-board graphics way back when I installed my 6800GT OC. This card works perfectly. Needless to say I'm a little ticked off right now but I'm willing to try almost anything. But please, if you want to help, don't reply with somethng like "is the card hooked up correctly" because YES IT IS! I know at least to connect the card to the monitor. Also, I've installed new mobo drivers, flashed an upgraded BIOS, and cleared CMOS. I even tried swapping PSUs and monitors. Anyway, thanks in advance! ANY support is hugely appreciated. I would like somebody to help before I decide to grab my hammer... I can fix ANYTHING with a hammer!

SYSTEM SPECS:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.25ghz)
2GB Corsair XMS RAM (PC3200) - 400mhz
FIC k7m-nf18g (AU31) mobo - nForce2 IGP
500w ULTRA modular PSU - 28a max on +12v rail (rated at 11.55v)
GeForce 6800GT OC (AGP) video card

What you seem to have failed to do mate, is look at the common denominator....your AGP slot! Or more to the point your mobo.
If 3 cards fail to work, surely you'd then look at the mobo, be it bad voltage on the AGP rail supplied by the psu or just a dodgy port.
Check what voltages your card should be receiving and check what voltage the psu is delivering to the slot.
Good luck. :)

Okay, well I'm not sure how to test the AGP slot's voltage but I go into BIOS and this is what I see for ratings...

VCORE - 1.58v
+3.3v - 3.36v
+5.0v - 5.05v
+12 - 11.77v

I don't know how to test for a dodgy port either but then again it's a little tough when I only have access to BIOS. My 6800GT works fine but most obviously requires less power. Both the 7800 and 7950 call for at least 20a on the +12 rail. I got 28 with this PSU. Thanks for the help, I will try to see what I can come up with I guess.

Still In Need of Answers

Well I guess nobody else wants to help out but that's cool. Only one person had anything to say and now I can't get any further without more responses. I don't know what's causing my problem so it's impossible for me to fix it. I ask how to test my AGP slot and voltages and such but I get nothing in return. How am I supposed to go about this, I'm kinda left in the dark here...

have u thought that the system is using amp's on the +12rail, that is very possibly the problem!!!

PSU Has 1 +12v rail

nickc said:
have u thought that the system is using amp's on the +12rail, that is very possibly the problem!!!

Yes, I have thought of that and I'm really hoping that the PSU is to blame because I don't feel like buying another mobo. I wish I could tell for sure because a new PSU will be cheaper than a new motherboard. The power supply that I'm using is brand new. I do have a whole bunch of stuff that it has to power so maybe it's being used up. I don't know how to tell for sure though. I had a dual rail power supply in the same system before and I couldn't get the 7800GS to work so I bought this new one. Any way to test if this is the culprit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back