Different RAM makes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher2006

hey, i have 512mb or kingston DRR400 Ram and i bought 1GB more of corsair RAM 2x 512mb, when i put them all in the boot up screen read 1gb running at 333mhz and i thort that aint right so i took the old Ram out and it said 1gb 400mhz, thats right. why cant i have my kingston Ram in with my corsair to make 1.5gb

Don't take this as a def answer, because I am learning about this myself, but it could be your motherboard. I read that some mobo's can't have 3 sticks of 400mhz running at that speed and degrade them to 333mhz. I believe my mobo is like that (haven't got the CPU in yet to give it a test). I also think I heard something about the cpu being related to the quality of the ram. If I am mislead, anyone prove me wrong, but thats what I gathered so far

well for one when you run dual linear channel on the ram they really need to be like sticks.same make and model etc.... alson you have more than likely two different colored dimm slots on the system if it can hold 4modules which i am sure it can..therefore you have to have all four slots full to take advantage of the dual channel configuration not just three.. that is why the mghz changed to 400 when you took the third memory stick out... cause dual channel requires no open gates ( so to speak ) so if you want to have dual channel then use two or four sticks and you will be fine..just make sure they match in speed latency and banks so that you don't end up dropping performance somewhere.. peace

yeah thats the thing i wasnt sure what one to post in, because there wasnt one saying ram issues..but now i do good post aswel

I will move this thread to the correct forum. cpu`s chipsets and mobo`s.

I`ve also moved your ram sticky there Tedster.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
I will move this thread to the correct forum. cpu`s chipsets and mobo`s.

I`ve also moved your ram sticky there Tedster.

Regards Howard :)
I was curious what happened to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back