Difficulty Installing Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm new here, so, go easy! ha!

Okay, my problem is that if I am tryin to install anything like an External HDD, or my Nokia N95, or any other sort of device which has memory on it, and my PC can't install it. It recognises the device, but cannot go any further. i.e. I have a WD Passport Portable Hard Drive, but my PC won't autoplay it with the software on there. It recognises a External HDD on there, and tell me to go through the rigmalola of installing it, but it cannot detect anydrives for it, even when I've installed the drives on my PC and directed it to the folder.

The same is for my mobile phones, detects the phone, and even shows the make & model, but cannot install it. Everything used to work. I have windows XP.

Any ideas?

hi and welcome to the board!

first thing I would try is to go to the device manager and delete everything in Universal Serial Bus Controllers (see attached pic).
then plug in the device you want to install. usually it should re-install the usb controller and then the ext. device.
for some device you may have to install the driver first, then reboot and attach the device. otherwise they will not be installed. this happens with some sony device for example...

my two cents
mscrx

if you have already installed the drivers, go to control panel, admin tools, computer management, disc management, and assign a letter to the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back