Diode replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a microsoft trackball explorer 1.0 and one of the diodes went bad. Is there a way I can find out the frequency of the LED and replace it?

Do you mean an ir led? Are you 100% sure its the led thats faulty as they tend to last for a very long time.

You can use a webcam or a phone camera to see of the led lights up as both see ir leds as a blue/white colour.

Probably. With an oscilloscope.

Or you could just pick up a $6 optical mouse at Wal-Mart that probably works better than that ancient mouse.

It's not a mouse and I am pretty sure it's the led. The entire cradle where the ball sits does not light up, and the cursor doesn't move, which led me to believe that the sensor isn't picking up the ball movement.

Should it light up? Ball mice usually don't require a visible light source in order to work, they usually rely on infra red sensors instead.

Sorry I got people off track when I misread and thought it was a mouse. My point still stands though that you don't repair stuff like that, you just get a new one. If you REALLY want to replace it, buy one off of ebay and swap the diodes or whatever burnt out on yours.

No worries. Under normal circumstances I would replace it. But Microsoft managed to actually make a product I like, but discontinued it. I guess it is off to ebay.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back