Direct3d error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I hope you can help. When I try to run sims 2, 1 of 3 things happens. I either manage to start the game, play it for a little while only to have the graphics start messing up, and either crash the computer or only turn off the game. Or it just won't start up at all. Either way the same error message pops up. (If the computer doesn't crash) It says that Direct3d failed to initialize and it's missing the file derr_something or other. Some name that I don't remember. Anyways, I have the latest video drivers and directx 9, and I was previously running the game with much more content and thus much more strain on the video card and not having a problem. Please help.....

EDIT: Actually I found out it's actually the video card, not the drivers or direct3d. Apparently Nvidia cards tend to not work with Sims 2 in general. You can either get beta drivers for your computer, or, if you have a laptop, like me, turn off the shaders.

Sounds like a common problem with Radeon cards

Start>Run>type dxdiag -> Run the direct3d test
do you get an error message on test 7, 8, 9

just noticed your specs say Nvidia card -> so let me know if you changed

I would still treat it similarly with either -> uninstall graphics card driver through add/remove programs -> find the uninstall utility-> and do a clean install -> sounds like you may be missing a .dll maybe

*Unless you have a Radeon card that uses AGP then install a previous driver 7.7 or before -> their new drivers dont support AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back