DirectX 10 Benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

I recently downloaded the Call of Juarez DirectX 10 Benchmark, and I have come to very frustrating results. I played the whole fly-by test all the way through in very poor conditions with a great amount of lag, and the results of the benchmark were also very poor. My average frames per second when all of the settings were at maximum was 5.3. When everything was at minimum the frames per second was 10.0. This is terrible considering I have an Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX and Windows Vista Home Premium! I cannot figure out why this is happening. If anyone knows how I can fix this problem and optimize my performance, that would be much appreciated! :)

-This is a result of another user of the Benchmark:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2147111,00.asp

My Specifications:

-Windows Vista Home Premium
-2GB of Viking RAM
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
-Nvidia Geforce XFX 8800GTX
-Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Gaming Motherboard
- Hard Drive = 460GB
-Samsung 18x Lightscribe
- I am running my desktop with Windows Areo on and there is a usual number of about 50 programs running which is listed in the Task Manager. I also have a 256MB Jump Drive plugged into my computer via USB which is currently being used as additional RAM.

I hope not, I am not sure because I had a store order it. If so, could this be what is causing my problem?

I recently ran the benchmark again and I noticed that it said that there was 732MB of RAM available. This shouldn't be considering I have 2GB of RAM and a 256MB Jump Drive in my computer. I am thinking that Windows Vista's backround programs and graphical features are using a great deal amount of RAM! If this is the cause, could someone suggest what programs out of the many that automatically run in the backround I can stop by using "msconfig."
-Also, I have a CPU and RAM guage widget and it displays that 50% of my RAM is being used when the benchmark is running. Is this too much? If anyone has any suggestions to increase the performance of my computer, that would be fantastic! :)

Vista handles memory differently than XP and 2k, it handles it more like OS X where it keeps things in memory even after they aren't needed, incase they are needed again later - that way they open faster. This shouldn't be a problem because if something requests that RAM it is avaiable to be given.

Probably a silly question, but you didn't mention it above: What drivers are you using and have you tried different drivers? The default Vista ones for nVidia aren't very good.

I downloaded this driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_158.24.html
-Also, like I have mentioned in other posts, is DirectShow a serious problem when it does not work because that is the case. I run DXdiag and it says it does not work. I don't know if Vista has the DirectX tests with the spinning cube and the squares, but those tests are not shown in the diagnostics tool.
-Also, maybe the processes in the backround are affecting the performance of my computer? I reduced them to about 40 at the moment, is this too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back