DirectX 10 downgrade to DirectX 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

martindeck

I have a DirectX 10, says the System Information. I want to downgrade my DirectX down to DirectX 9, because I want to know if the DirectX is the cause of my game's graphics problem.

Now, I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit System. Would downgrading DirectX be fatal? Would there be unacceptable changes?
If not:
a) Where can I download DirectX 9
b) How can I downgrade DirectX 10
c) How can I install DirectX 9

What you are asking is nearly impossible to do. You can't downgrade your version of DirectX. There will be an option to unistall it, but the information of the version will remain in the regristry. And if you try to erase directx 10 out of the registry you will get trouble. So this is not the option.

To solve your VGA problem I would advice to download an older driver. Maybe that will help.

Good luck, let me know of it works.

You can download the latest DirectX from here.

Vista has DirectX9 libraries as well as older ones, just check \Windows\system32\d3d8.dll for example.

Graphics problems in games are usually related to graphics card drivers, not DirectX.

The Sims 2. The graphics are superb. The Game runs exceptionally well on my computer. Except for one thing - the Sims themselves. Their sprites lash out of the screen. It's cause is most probably lighting. And I figured DirectX 10 is too advanced for the DirectX 9.0 requiring Sims 2.

Its probably a driver issue like everyone said, The Sims 2 only uses DirectX 9.0c, which Vista uses. Apparently, unlike previous versions of DirectX 10 isn't backwards compatable, so Vista has seperate 9 and 10.

I can't understand but I already have the latest device drivers from ATI (because my video card is ATI Radeon X1200) and I still have problems...

Actually what are your System specs ?

In regards to your original questions, they have been answered.

In regards to errors on your Video card or system in that game, is a new question.

Does your video work well on playing other games ?
Is this only related to The Sims

Here's another old post, with the same issue:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=567169
(I had to search through my posts)

Does that help ? maybe you could contact that member, if he got it resolved, and what resolved it (it was basically left without a final answer)

Try this:
Go to Control panel > Device manager > display adapters and check the driver version.
Go to the ATi website and download the latest driver for your card if it is better than then one you found already on the system. Update the driver if requried
If no improvement:
Backup your data files
Uninstall Directx whatever version
Uninstall SIMS
Restart the PC and reinstall SIMS and allow the game to install the version of directX

kimsland said:
Actually what are your System specs ?

In regards to your original questions, they have been answered.

In regards to errors on your Video card or system in that game, is a new question.

Does your video work well on playing other games ?
Is this only related to The Sims

Here's another old post, with the same issue:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=567169
(I had to search through my posts)

Does that help ? maybe you could contact that member, if he got it resolved, and what resolved it (it was basically left without a final answer)

My System Specs are actually:

CPU: AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-58 1.9 GHz
RAM: 1918 Mb
Hard Drive Space: 200 GB, 22 GB used.
Video: DirectX 10, 128 Mb, ATI Radeon X1200
Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio

Those specs are ok. And about 100X what theSims asks for!

Although I'd update the 128Meg Video Card to 512Meg, but still way above minimum specs.

Did the other post supplied, shed any light ?
So far, this is two with similar issues. I wonder if a game patch is required, it's very strange.

I think dx10 is only activated when u turn the shaders to max isnt that correct?? because i noticed a big difference on nfs pro street when i turn it off.

Similar Issue

I don't know what's wrong with my Sims game, the only thing that won't display is the graphics on the computers and tv's and such that loop whatever animation format that is... my pc specs are:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
2046MB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Driver Version: 7.14.0010.0555 (English)

I've tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling, and I wouldn't assume the drivers are causing the issue?

bomberman85 said:
I don't know what's wrong with my Sims game, the only thing that won't display is the graphics on the computers and tv's and such that loop whatever animation format that is... my pc specs are:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
2046MB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Driver Version: 7.14.0010.0555 (English)

I've tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling, and I wouldn't assume the drivers are causing the issue?

I've searched through similiar issues, and I found out that all of those who have the same issues have ATI based graphics card. Maybe, It's the card's Catalysts Control Center? Possible.

Thanks martindeck, I wonder if AlbertLionheart would like to installl the game.
Although most of these members with problems, say it use to work ok.
Maybe it's the latest drivers?

Thanks, kimsland.
It couldn't be the device drivers. I already downloaded the latest device drivers for my card and the ATI's latest CCC which is 8.1.

I also bought The Sims Pet Stories as they were said to be "Lap-top" friendly, since I am using a laptop, and alas, The Sims even in a "laptop friendly" version is still hostile to mine...

Dissappointing... I am a big fan of Maxis... but then... Well, If there is no solution to this, I can wait for The Sims 3. :D

Update

This is what it looks like on my computer. Everything else in the game is perfect, smooth scrolling, but the little animations on the darn tv's and computers when you try to play the pixel games...

Edit: it says I need 3 posts first...

bomberman85 do you have an ATi card

Also instead of imageshack, next time just attach a pic (using the paperclip icon - inside a new post)

Well, I experimented with ATI Catalyst Control Center and The Sims 2' graphic settings and I came across with something. the Graphic corruption is caused by vertical synchronization, and vertical refresh rate.

How did I know? I turned ATI's Wait for Vertical Refresh to Always off, and, I can use the cheat "vsync off/on" in the Sims 2 to make the corruptions disappear.

Anyone has any suggestions...? EA isn't responding....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back