DirectX 8.1 compatibility

I have a 3dfx Voodoo 3 video card. Is DirectX 8.1 compatible with it?

I got a game that requires a DirectX 8.1 compatible drive. The game came with Direct X 8.1 and I installed it dut when I try and play the game I get an error message

"Game cannot find suitable 3D Device on this system. Check that your viedo card driver supports DirectX 8.1 or higher.":( :confused:

Ran test Direct Draw - test successful
Ran test Direct3D - test successful

Still get the same message.

on your computer go to Start/run
then type in - dxdiag

that is directx diagnostic tool
then go to the video/graphics tab and try the direct3d test and the directdraw test.

let us know what happened.

according to the 3DFX info the voodoo 3 was released in Feb 1999 since DX 8.1 was released in Nov 2001 it is highly unlikely that the Voodoo 3 is 8.1 compaitable.

There ARE drivers that supposedly support DirectX 8.1, but you can bet they are NOT compatible with every game.

The best drivers I've found for 8.1 on Windows XP are Amigamerlin's 2.5 drivers. You can download then from voodoofiles. Go to the "3rd party 3dfx drivers" section and scroll down some ways.

All other drivers I have found have basically no support for any 8.1 games. Amigamerlin also has poor support, but it does play some of the 8.1 games I have.

Back