DirectX 9.0c compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've recently bought a game entitled 'The Movies' and I'm having trouble starting it up. I've installed it and when I try to play it, it begins to start up and then returns to my desktop with no message indicating the reason why it's not working.
I think the problem seems to be with my videocard.
My current videocard is: NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64M
The system requirements for the game state that the videocard needs to have a 100% compatibility with DirectX 9.0c. Is my videocard 100% compatible with DirectX 9.0c?
I have downloaded DirectX 9.0c and the DirectX diagnostics tool show there to be no problems.
My computer is a laptop, it has a 40Gb Hard Drive, Pentium 4 2.66GHz processor and 512MB RAM.
Do you think my videocard is the problem?
If so, do I need to buy a new videocard? and if I do, what do you recommend that is suitable for my computer?
I'd be grateful for any help
Thanks.

Hi,
I looked on google, and apparently your card has problems with directx 9. Try uninstalling it, and then try using directx 8 to run the game. If that doesn't work, try to get someone who can help you with your laptop. It is super hard to install a video card to a laptop.

some games need dx 9 hardware compatible, while other just need dx 9 software compatible.

If the game needs dx9 hardware compatibility, then your geforce4 won't work as it only supports dx8 I think.

Probably, but like I said, videocards for laptops are a nightmare. Either have a pro do it, or buy a different game.

To be honest, it's probably the videocards fault.
However, there is one more thing you might try.

The thing is, some people had your problem, even with newer
cards - the game started - black screen - then quit - without
any error.

The problem was solved by updating drivers - it was a known issue.
Try ForceWare 81.95 WHQL for Nvidia's site, that should have the
sucker running.

If it doesnt, it's probably the videocard being too old.
I hope the driver update solves the problem.

Unfortunately I've already tried updating my driver to Forceware 81.95 from the NVIDIA site and it wasn't compatible with my hardware so it looks like I'll just have to return the game.
Thanks for your help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back