DirectX 9.0c released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
DirectX 9.0c has been released although currently there are no games that take advantage of it. FarCry with the v1.2 patch applied along with Nvidia 6800 or ATI X#00 hardware will do so via the shader model 3.0 and 2.0b respectivley however.

This file (35mb) is the redistributable version that works on Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and Server 2003.

Has anyone tried or heard anything about 9.0c yet? Are there any issues I should be aware of?

Edit: Grammar and typo correction.

Per Hansson, Ati X800 cards also benefit from this (SM2.0b)

Brown, i've tried this and the previous RC2, no problems so far, no advantages either ;)

Originally posted by Federelli
Brown, i've tried this and the previous RC2, no problems so far, no advantages either ;)

Same here, can't tell any difference, but no problems either.

Originally posted by Federelli
Per Hansson, Ati X800 cards also benefit from this (SM2.0b)
As far as I've heard that's already supported in DirectX9.0B, or was that just Geometric Instancing?

EDIT: I was wrong, Geometric Instancing can be done on any R3XX card (9500 and upwards) on DirectX9.0B

But Shader Model 2.0b can only be done with a Radeon X300, X600 or X800 GFX card in combination with DirectX9.0C

Lets have a look at the patch that "never quite was". To get the full benefits of the patch you would have required an X800\X600 or X300 class graphics card, DirectX9.0b, FarCry 1.2 and Catalyst build 8.041 or above. If you have these you’ll get the full feature set: SM 2.0b and Geometry Instancing

The 2nd option is to have a R3xx or above graphics card (9500,9600,9700,9800) DirectX 9.0b, FarCry 1.2 and Catalyst 8.041. With this setup Geometry Instancing support is possible.

Thats right people, the NV40/SM3.0 isnt the only card/Shader Model that can provide instancing, any of ATI’s DX9 hardware supports this feature, in the words of some ATI employees (off the record) "even using DirectX9.0b"

Source: http://www.driverheaven.net/#article_15612

That's not what the Far Cry team has to say:
From Far Cry support folder:
"Beta - Shader Model 2.0b Support in Far Cry

Activating Shader Model 2.0b in Far Cry Patch 1.2
1. Install Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (Summer Update 2004) Build 1221 or later.
2. Install ATI driver that supports Shader Model 2.0b
3. Install Far Cry Patch 1.2
4. Option 1: Copy fxc.exe from <DirectX 9.0c install folder>\Utilities to
<Far Cry Patch 1.2 Install folder>\bin32

Note that the default installation folder for DirectX 9.0c (Summer Update 2004) is “C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)”.

Note that the default installation folder for Far Cry is
“c:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry”

Option 2: Copy fxc.exe sent to you to <Far Cry Patch 1.2 Install folder>\bin32

Running the Shader Model 2.0b Path in Far Cry Patch 1.2
1. Run Far Cry in DEVMODE: FarCry.exe -DEVMODE
2. Bring up the Far Cry console by pressing “`” (back-quote without the double quotes – this is also usually the key with a tilde, “~”)
3. Type: \r_SM2BPATH 1 to turn Shader Model 2.0b on, and \r_SM2BPATH 0 to turn it off. This can be done dynamically within the game.
4. Type: \map <mapname> to load a map. For example: \map research will load the Research map.
5. Type: \demo <demoname> to run a demo. For example: \demo research will run the Research demo (see below for information on scripting this).

You can confirm that the Shader Model 2.0b Path is being used from the legend “SM20b Path Beta” that shows up in bold yellow at the top left of the screen as shown in the Far Cry screenshot below. When Shader Model 2.0b is off, no legend will be displayed.
Troubleshooting
1. I am seeing corruption when I turn on the Shader Model 2.0b path. What is wrong?
A: Make sure you copied fxc.exe from the DirectX9.0c install (or the one sent to you) to the Bin32 folder in Far Cry (See step 4 above)

2. I tried turning on ShaderModel 2.0b in the Far Cry console but I don’t see the yellow text indicating the SM2.0b Path. Why?
A: Make sure you are using an ATI driver with Shader Model 2.0b support and you have installed DirectX 9.0c.

3. Why do I need to copy fxc.exe from the DirectX9.0c folder to the Far Cry folder?
A: Far Cry needs fxc.exe from DirectX9.0c which exposes Shader Model 2.0b in order to compile its shader files to use SM2.0b.

4. How can I activate Shader Model 2.0b from the command line?
A: You can use: FarCry.exe –DEVMODE “r_SM2BPath=1”

5. Can I set other parameters in the command line so I can create and run benchmark scripts?
A: Yes, for example, the following command line parameters will set different options:

FarCry.exe –DEVMODE ““r_SM2BPath 1” “"#demo_num_runs=1" "#demo_quit=1" "map research" "demo research" "#r_Width=1600" "#r_Height=1200"

This will run the demo “research” two times in the “research” map, at 1600x1200, with SM2.0b turned on, quitting after the second run. The results will be logged in the file “research.log” in the Levels/Research folder.

We recommend that you run a demo twice, and use the second score, as the first run usually includes the time to load FarCry dll’s etc. into memory."

EDIT: Just saw your edit :), you shoul add that to the news (about X#00 Ati cards also benefiting from this)

problem

I have a problem. I cannot update my 9.0b to 9.0c. The installer says that the software was not tested with Windows XP and stops the installation. I cannot do anything about it. any hints please?

DirectX 9.0c

You need this for NFS Underground 2. So I downloaded the zip file. When I tried to install it however it tries to download certain files from the net, which unfortunately I dont have at home. Are there any places I can download the full version that will install without being connected 24/7?

Desperate to tryout NFSU 2

WolfCat said:
I have a problem. I cannot update my 9.0b to 9.0c. The installer says that the software was not tested with Windows XP and stops the installation. I cannot do anything about it. any hints please?

Originally posted by santroph:

OK GUYS I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!!

Probably a bunch of you wont believe this but the setup.exe for the Directx 9.0c has a bug.

I can prove it doing what i did to have mine updated from 9.0b to 9.0c.
I have tryed everything even taking DX9.0b off and substitute for 8.1, but this is not necessary.

The only thing all of you should do is:
Take the .exe and both .dll in the DX 9.0b folder and use them in the dx9.0c install intead of the ones you have.

Step by step:
Get both Dx 9.0b and Dx 9.0c REDIST (complete install file zipped) from File planet.

Extract one in a TEMP folder like:
c:\temp\dx9c
and the other in another like:
c:\temp\dx9b

get the files "dxsetup.exe", "DSETUP.dll", "dsetup32.dll" from the folder that have the DX9b install to the one that have the DX9c install.

Substitute the files, than now run normally the setup.exe file, everything will work now.

Have good luck, and I hope this solves all of your problems!

I have tried this step but still the installer goes straight to installation finished screen. What the hell am i supposed to do
?

Heh..Your...

Your solution is a ****!!!!!! Doesn't WORK!!!!!!!!!! WHAT I MUST DO?
GUEST says: I have tried this step but still the installer goes straight to installation finished screen. What the hell am i supposed to do
?
ITS TRUE!!!! WHAT THE F**K I MUST DO?!

Go out and buy Call of Duty 2, excellent game and it comes with DX9.0c, in fact the game crashed on load up without 9.0c installed. Their install program worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back