directx 9 to directx 10 cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffader

If this has been asked can someone give me the link, if not im just wondering, I guess the actual hardware on the card it self has to have the component for directx 10 they cant come out with the drivers for say a g-force 7900gs to be compatible with directx 10? thanks

I don't think they can. That's not to say that at some time in the future they won't. I'm sure a company that sells graphics processors wouldn't want a software advance like that to happen. They would lose a lot of sales.

good point

I was just thinking way back when they went form directx 7 to directx8 to directx 9 without me having to get a new card, so im just hoping they will come out with the drivers eventullay, if not 8800 here i come :)

puffader said:
If this has been asked can someone give me the link, if not im just wondering, I guess the actual hardware on the card it self has to have the component for directx 10 they cant come out with the drivers for say a g-force 7900gs to be compatible with directx 10? thanks
Vista only, no XP(at the present time anyway) DX10=Vista
Nvidia: 8000 series (8800, 8600, 8500, 8400)
Ati: HD 2900 series, 2600, 2400
these are DX10 cards (provided you use Vista)

These are Nvidia cards that have Vista drivers available:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_home.html

These are Ati cards that have Vista drivers available:

http://ati.amd.com/technology/WindowsVista/Products.html

Okay, so what im getting out of all of this is.....

1. there are only certain cards at this time that run directx 10

2. All companys are greedy (Just being sarcastic, I know they just need profits)

3. eventually my 7900gs could run directx 10 but by that time I may have a G-force 10,ooo!

Doubt it will happen. DirectX 10 is a much different animal. It is still very far from perfection. If they ever get it right, it will probably only be for VISTA. Microsoft says DirectX 10 will never be intended for WXP... though some card manufactures are giving it a try.

raybay said:
Doubt it will happen. DirectX 10 is a much different animal. It is still very far from perfection. If they ever get it right, it will probably only be for VISTA. Microsoft says DirectX 10 will never be intended for WXP... though some card manufactures are giving it a try.

Okay, but! If you have windows Vista they will eventullay come out with a dr8iver that will run directx 10 on my 7900 gs?

No. Anything before Nvidia's 8000 series and ATIs HD 200 series will never be able to use directx10. The hardware on those older cards isn't compatible with it.

Not just Vista only, but with older videocards, their hardware isn't compatible with DX10.

You can't run DX10 on a non DX10 card for Hardware reasons like MetalX said. BUT that doesn't mean your old card won't run in Vista, and current games aren't using DX10, only games that require DX10 won't ever run on your old cards.

so if you try to run a dx10 game it won't even try to utilize your graphics cards or it will use the graphics card as much as it can? because there has to be some dx9 features that the dx10 can use.

LXIX said:
so if you try to run a dx10 game it won't even try to utilize your graphics cards or it will use the graphics card as much as it can? because there has to be some dx9 features that the dx10 can use.

Most games will have DX10 elemets eventually and will also have DX9 elements. Some of those DX10 games will only work on DX10 video cards, but the rest of the games will play on DX9 video cards without the DX10 effects.

yeah i figured that the latter one is it, they won't make DX10 only games until way later hopefully.

oKAY SO FOR THE FIRST TIME PEOPLE WITH CARDS WITHOUT dx10 ARE SCARUWED ON GAMES THAT REQUIRE IT, i MEAN WONT THAT KEEP SALES DOWN? i CAN GET DX10 CARD BUT I REALLY DONT THINK THERE GONNA MAKE GAMES THAT ARE DX10 ONLY!? tHATS JUST LIKE ms!

puffader said:
oKAY SO FOR THE FIRST TIME PEOPLE WITH CARDS WITHOUT dx10 ARE SCARUWED ON GAMES THAT REQUIRE IT, i MEAN WONT THAT KEEP SALES DOWN? i CAN GET DX10 CARD BUT I REALLY DONT THINK THERE GONNA MAKE GAMES THAT ARE DX10 ONLY!? tHATS JUST LIKE ms!

CAPS LOCK IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!!!!

LXIX said:
CAPS LOCK IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!!!!

I know CAPS are annoying but really is your day so drab you have to make a post to let me know it bothers you? good greif! Oh what it I before E good grief!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back