Disable Norton AV vs Uninstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dundas2

My computer came with Norton Anti-Virus 2004. My subscription ends soon and I don't plan to renew it, as I have learned in this forum that the best way to go is AVG. However,I have also gathered that it is complicated to completely uninstall NAV, for a newbie like myself. Therefore, I am wondering if I could just "turn off" NAV and install and run AVG instead?

Thanks for your help.

I also just made the exact change you are talking about.

And the world became good.

Go to your control panel, then add/remove programs. Uninstall Norton from there. Should do the trick just fine. It'll leave a few files there but not hurt anything. If you want to be really agressive and do some registry edits to completely clean it out, you can (just post back here again and I'll give you a link). But not really necessary.

Thank you, DonNagual. Would you please post that link for future use. I hate stuff left behind when I delete or uninstall, but I don't have the knowledge yet to edit the registry.

Oh, I'm not doubting that there are still problems with 2004 ;)

Just saying that version previous to that one were particularly hard to remove and required a special download from symantec to help you remove the software. Starting in 2004 they re-worked their uninstaller so it was a little more powerful.

Not much more, but a little. Ah, the joys of Norton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back