Disabled Display Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzle

Hi all this is my first post since joining so I’m hoping I might be able to get some good advice to help me…

My problem: I was working with the video card and then disabled it. I disabled by going to:

"Control panel","display", "settings", "advanced", "adapter" "properties" "device usage" : selected disable device... windows now works but I have no display – only a black screen.

A member known as ‘Spike’ kindly described the keystrokes to find your way to device manager and subsequently to the display adapter to enable it. Unfortunately after completing these steps I still have a black screen, I noted that after completing the steps my computer never re-booted itself; I have to manually restart.
I also searched and found a posting from ‘glowingnissan07’ whom noted that this method also did not work in their case. They explained that a “Microsoft Question box” sounded on some attempts but on other attempts there was no sound – could this be that the sound appears when you click disable? and when you select enable no sound comes on?? If so I may be correctly selecting to ‘enable’ the display adapter but this won’t solve my problem.

I have tried several things including:

Safe mode but it stalls half way through

VGA mode

I tried to repair / reinstall windows (booting from a CD) in an effort to enable the driver to the default windows set-up. Windows successfully reinstalled and does work however I have a black display screen on my monitor – the sound works fine though!

I also tried removing the graphics card and booting without it and then with it placed back in, in a hope that the system may detect it as a new device – still the same problem!

I tried to re-install my nvidia display driver but still no joy.

I wonder if anyone has came across this problem before and managed to solve it – any help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t have a lot of computer experience. Thanks in advance

When booting up I've been through each of the boot up options but unfortunately none seem to work for me. Some load up windows with the blank screen but other seems to pause. I have tried leaving them for 10+mins to see if they eventually work but i've had no luck so far!!

Well, basically the vid card passthru is working since that is your connection to the monitor.

You will have to look through your mobo manual to set the video to vga ONLY if you can.

Without data re your mobo, the onus is on YOU!

:)

The board I have is an ASUS P5B deluxe - I'll read through the manual to see if I can understand it ans get it to work... this should be interesting !

Thanks for the advice

If you can borrow a PCIE card from someone or have another THAT IS DIFFERENT, install it and boot. Windows should detect it and let you get video.

Then fix the other.

I have managed to find a PCI graphics card and placed this in my computer - the computer now works with this older PCI card however when I put my PCIE card in it still wont work - just a blank screen.

When I have my older card in I can work in windows but I’m unsure how to get the other card to work. Does anyone have any ideas on this - I can now see what I am doing which is a step in the right direction!!

Put the 2nd card in, hook up the extra power connector, and boot.

Try to use Add New Hardware (you should already have the drivers downloaded to a folder you can find).

Great - finally managed to sort the problem!!:grinthumb

When I had both cards inserted the PCIE card booted up first but this was the disabled card - I managed to temp change the bios settings on the motherboard to boot the PCI card first in the chip settings!

Thanks very much for your help with this... its really appreciated and has saved me a lot of time and ££'s!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back