Disk is not accesibile the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi to all...

my father have External Maxtor DiamondMax HDD 160 GB. To tell the truth its not external coz when you open the cage its normal IDE HDD... anyway other day he was working with it via USB and when he finished he unpluged the HDD "WITHOUT" stoping the USB service for the HDD device. and noiw the problem:

when he try to plug in the HDD via USB the comp doesnt see it

and when i take it off the cage and conect it via IDE the BIOS recognise it and in "my Computer" there is an icon of the disk... but when i try to get in the disk it says

f:\ disk is accesible
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

please help ...in the disk he has more than 120 GB of memorys and stuff

thanx and best regards to all

p.d.
i have
mainboard ASUS A7V880
win XP pro service pack 2

tindrli

Try and remove the drivers (if any) and all other references to it for the external HD.
When you plug it in as an IDE, make sure you set it correctly to Master or Slave!
What was the drive-letter when used as an external HD? And what as IDE?

tindrli said:
.. and when he finished he unpluged the HDD "WITHOUT" stoping the USB service for the HDD device. and noiw the problem:

when he try to plug in the HDD via USB the comp doesnt see it

and when i take it off the cage and conect it via IDE the BIOS recognise it and in "my Computer" there is an icon of the disk... but when i try to get in the disk it says

f:\ disk is accesible
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable
now you understand WHY you need to use the launch-bar STOP servce.
The latter symptom tells you to inspect the partition, repair it, and then once
you have access, run CHKDSK /F

i forgot to mention that when i go to my computer and select f:\ with right button and chose properties ti says

Type : Local Disk
File System: Raw
used space:0 bytes
free space: 0 bytes
disk capacity 0 bytes

@RealBlackStuff

Try and remove the drivers (if any) and all other references to it for the external HD
When you plug it in as an IDE, make sure you set it correctly to Master or Slave!

on my machine i have never used external HD so i dont think that i have any drivers instaled at least for external HDD
i puted out the HDD from cage and plug via IDE to other comp as secondary Master( i cheked it out)

What was the drive-letter when used as an external HD? And what as IDE
as external USB coneccted on my fathers comp it used E:\ or F:\ letter
as an IDE on my machine it uses F:\ letter

@jobeard
The latter symptom tells you to inspect the partition, repair it, and then once
you have access, run CHKDSK /F

wich program would you recomend me to inspect the partition and repair it if you thenk that is possible?

thanx for helping

dont know of any progs that will help you fix the partitions, but one way i know to fix an mbr is to use the winxp recovery console.. but this is destructive fix so you have a 80% chance of wiping hte hdd inthe process...

do not run chdsk it will erase the data
get paragon partition manager and change disc type
or change file system back to ntfs or what ever it was before this error
then give it a letter if it does not have one

you will need a file recovery program. There are several free and commerical versions widely available.

then use Crap cleaner or norton systemworks registry repair to try and repair the drive (this can be destructive under some circumstances - you may lose some data but salvage your directory and other files.

then backup!

Hi all.I have a external 2.5 HDD.The other day I was Working on the external HDD but message saying that I'm not accessible to my hard drive.The message says:

G:\ is not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Now I can,t access to my HDD but I can see my drive on the my computer icon.I don't know what to do.Guys help me out please............

firstly, i u want to recover the data's from previous hdd that can't readable, u may used "GetDataBack for NTFS" apps. For another treat, you also can try use Hiren boot disc that enable us to check the event cluster n repair the problem... :)

prakash

thanx dude easy recover had worked for to recover my data from my 80 GB external hard disk!!!!!!!!!1

and to recover the DRIVE recover my files 4.0.2(409)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back