Disk space decreasing by itself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all!

i am having a problem with my c drive(the one which contains the windows xp installation).yesterday it had 700 mb of free space.and today i find it 70mb only!! and still decreasing.right now it's 3 mb :)
i just wanna mention that i started downloading something yesterday using downlaod accelerator and it's 1.2 gb in size.could that be the cause?may be it's creating a temp file or something.does that mean that the problem will end after it finishes download.or is it a virus or something.
anyone got a clue??
thnx alot

The temp files from your download could be causing this to go away. I'd say let it finish then see what happens. If no change then someone would be glad to help you.

check your processes to c if there anything dl'ing on the downlow then stop all your downloads other wise just wipe the damn drive and your good 2 go!

What you describe is a typical sign of hard drive failure, as well. It could be filling up with junk from an infestation, but if the magnetic coating is peeling off, it could die at anytime.
Suggest you go to www.seagate.com to run a drive fitness test on the Maxtor, and to the website of the manufacturer of the other drive for the drive fitness test they use. All of them, except Tri-Gem and Toshiba have standard test sofware that are very helpful in determining the condition of the drive.

emda said:
hi all!

i am having a problem with my c drive(the one which contains the windows xp installation).yesterday it had 700 mb of free space.and today i find it 70mb only!! and still decreasing.right now it's 3 mb :)
i just wanna mention that i started downloading something yesterday using downlaod accelerator and it's 1.2 gb in size.could that be the cause?may be it's creating a temp file or something.does that mean that the problem will end after it finishes download.or is it a virus or something.
anyone got a clue??
thnx alot
Well here is your basic problem.....

You are downloading something that is 1.2GB, but only have 700MB space available. So it will definately take all the room, until there is no more.

As pdyckman@comcas stated, I'd look into another drive, as they are relatively cheap.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.
A message for all newcomers.
SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.
Thanks.

problem solved

of course i cant download someting that is 1.2 gb in a drive that has only 700 mb free.i was downloading it in another drive with 3 gb free space.but thanks anyway it appeared to be just as supersmashbrada said.it looks like download accelerator created a temp file in the c drive while downloading when the download finished so did the problem,
thanks alot for all the replies

hmmmm.

Try downloading the program DiskMonger. It shows all HDD space used in an easy to read GUI, this way you will be able to see exactly where all your missing space is being used.

Temp files and sometimes there are a folder you cant see and it fills up with stuff i had a virus can on my comp once and i found stuff that i never knew i had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back