DISKBAS.EXE file creating excessive CPU usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone familiar with a DISKBAS.EXE file? I noticed a few days ago that my hard drive seemed to be really active, even at idle. When I pulled up the processes in the task manager, I noticed this file was consuming most of my system memory and CPU resources (60-80% at idle). It was noticably slower with Internet Explorer than any other application.

The other interesting piece is that I serached my hard drive for this file, located it once in C:\Program Files\Prefetch. This seemed like it might be a virus so I deleted it. I also went to the task manager, right clicked on the file and chose "End Process". As soon as it ends, I notice the webpage in the background come up. No sooner does that happen, the DISKBAS.EXE file reappears in the Process window and brings me to a halt! Repeating this process helps load a web page, but obviuosly ometing isn't right about this file.

I think I have answered my own question, but if anyone has experience with this error, please let me know. Note, setting the priority to "Low" for this file helps decrease the CPU usage somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back